Tuesday, April 29, 2008

495. Falling


"You don't have to talk about it," said Em. Trev stood facing the cosmos, his back, bare, tight, sand duney in light and shadow to the caravan of her pouty lips. "I'm not asking. So you know."

Trev looked down as her hands traced the outline of his shoulders. "It's not that."

Em traced kisses across the sky of his horizon. Her arms reached around his chest and pulled his back to her cheek. "It's the past," she said.

"I'm not sure what that means. The feeling is now. The memories are now."

"And so am I," she said. He tensed. His muscle feeling more like marble than flesh, suddenly cold, not warm. She regretted.

"Okay."

"Hold me." He did. "Tighter."

"I don't want to hurt you."

"Hurt comes from withholding. I want to hold all of you, the pain as well as the pleasure. I want to know you can let me there, allow me to sit, with you, in that place. And in that place, that place that Kyra talks about, in that warmth, in that openness, is healing, joining, a place where your beginning and my ending glide as waves."

Trev laughed. "How long you been saving that up?"

"Oh, about a year, maybe more."

"Really? A year?"

"Yep. Remember that first karaoke night?"

"Sure."

"Well, I had some thoughts."

"I see."

"So?"

"So what?"

"You lettin' me in?"

"I'm not sure how to put it into words. The feeling is like a living thing, moving, changing, never exactly the same from one moment to the next. Trying to describe it is like trying to grasp a handful of water."

"Find a corner and show me that. Not the whole thing, just a little corner."

Trev sighed. "Okay. The feeling sits in your gut. It feels heavy, without being solid. It feels warm, but not in a cozy way, warm in a wet your pants kinda way, but the feeling is not temporal, not like something that is going to happen and then be over. Imagine wetting your pants in public but the wetting doesn't stop." Trev paused.

"Don't stop," she said.

He started laughing.

"I didn't mean it like that," she said.

"So you want me to urinate on you."

"Nooooo. You know what I meant."

"I'm just teasing you. I just don't feel like I'm doing a very good job."

"Just focus on that corner. Think of it like a tent. Lift the corner and let me get my foot underneath."

"Okay. The feeling, and I can't think of a better way to put it, is like a sinking feeling, like your stomach is an elevator, in free fall. And you can't stop it. And the mercy of a bottom, an ending, is denied you. The odd thing is, your head is not falling, but everything else is, almost like some horrible magic trick gone wrong where your head is visible to the audience, but everything else is really gone. And you are the only one that knows it. Imagine that. People come by and talk to your head, as if nothing is wrong and if you try and tell them, they look at you like you are crazy. And then . . ."

"And then what?"

"They leave. And the night comes. And you are still falling. And you feel smaller and smaller and smaller all the while the pain grows bigger and bigger and bigger and you have this odd house of horrors sensation of a feeling that won't fit your body and then there is that sick sensation again. I don't know how to explain it. A sense of losing control. And there is nothing you can do. And so you wait. Wait to hit bottom. And there is no bottom. Just a falling. Like a dead animal voiding its bladder, only you are still alive."

14 comments:

Cha Cha said...

Wow.

Trev is REALLY good at explaining his feelings.

I need someone like Trev in my life.

These two are so good together.

Trée said...

And he's not a bad lumberjack too. Or so I hear. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

Much admiration to Em, the more we learn about her, the more lovable she becomes, which is a very good thing if it relates to the crew as well as the audience for need it, want it, she does.

I loved her speech. Hurt comes from withholding. I see her saying that with a similar tone to the one that she held in her voice when she said the words; I am stronger than you think. Such a large character she has become, starting with Neraj, which now looks like a clue, not as brash (zest) as Yul or as mysterious (to the crew more so than us) as Mairi (many other qualities to list for Mairi too), hers is a quiet, strong, determined presence, and when she speaks, she has something to say. More on that later. Mission to the other vessel and so on.

A stroke of luck that these two got together and are providing us with not only wonderful chapters, but so many blissful sighs and so much hope. In spite of the feelings that Trev talks about. More later, running out of time. Wonderful chapter!

Trée said...

Thank you Sunshine. I feel like I have only scratched the surface of these two characters. I do like Em more and more with each chapter and Trev seems to be getting more and more complex with each revelation. Wouldn't mind hearing more from the girl too. :-)

j said...

"Find a corner and show me that. Not the whole thing, just a little corner."

Good Grief! What a fabulous way to put 'that' feeling. Of not being able to look something full in the face and using your periphrial vision to see it. I never would have thought of using the imagery of a corner.

I love Em's character in this chapter. She is so soothing and warm. And Trev is beginning to carry a question mark over his head. He is really developing into an interesting character.

Enjoyed it much!

Jen

Trée said...

Thanks Jen. I think we are going to see more from Trev. Perhaps a flashback to Sal and that experience and how that might mix with his feelings with regard to 'the girl' who didn't quite make it to the dock on time. And still, we know next to nothing about his background or family so there is all that too. :-D

How are those stairs coming? :-D

j said...

Everything is going well around here EXCEPT the stairs. Hubby is gone til tomorrow so they will have to wait until he gets home!

:^D

Question about your blog: Are you no longer private? I saw a "happended to stumble across this" (Ingenius!!) comment on a previous post. Are you back 'out there' for the masses to read and enjoy? I understand the reasons for not being available BUT I have often thought that it was a shame that more people could not have access to the story. I'm a nosy person so I just had to ask.

Have a great day!

Jen

Trée said...

Jen, I discovered who the two individuals were with suspicious behavior and made a calculated decision that they meant no harm so I decided not to 'go nuclear' and go private. I do like that I have given everyone plenty of time to ask for an invite and if I have to go private at some future date, I've got 36 people who will still have access. So, to answer your question, I've been public with the exception of a few days, which is what I would prefer to be. Still, I think the story will always have a rather limited readership. I've made peace with that and remind myself to be thankful and grateful for the handful of readers I do have. So, thank you for hanging in there. I do love comments and I appreciate yours very much. :-)

Mona said...

This is a fabulous Chapter!

"Hurt comes from withholding. I want to hold all of you, the pain as well as the pleasure.

Fantastic! I love those lines! So true.. hurt comes not with holding, but withholding , such a vast difference between the two!

Also the falling feeling is familiar.
With me it is a heaviness that grows, turning me into a boulder...I guess something like a Parkinson's disease would do, slowly turn you to stone...

Finding a corner & showing is like a microcosmic viewing of the whole...Just as the meaning of whole life is contained in a grain of wheat!

Cha Cha said...

How the HELL do you go about discovering WHO your lurkers are?

That's an amazing talent.

You should teach a class on that.

I'd take it.

And then you could be my Professor.

:-D

Trée said...

Strumper, you watch your sitemeter like a hawk. :-D

Would you like a private lesson? :-)

Trée said...

Mona, always my pleasure to have you stop by. When I look at the greatest hurt in my life, it is not the things done to me, but the things not done. It is not the things said about me, but the things never said. The cost of a hug not given, of an 'I love you' not whispered, of a ballgame not attended, etc., these things, are beyond cost, beyond price, and the hurt of absence is a long dull painful ache that is very, very difficult to let go.

Wamblings said...

This was wonderful. Very thought provoking. I so suck at dialog and you are so brilliant with it. Em is right. Hurt comes from withholding. Beautifully done.

Trée said...

W, you are very kind. Dialogue is something I struggle with and, at least to my eyes, it never seems quite as good as it could or should. Most of my dialogue seems to be rather short and quick exchanges. :-D

In real life, I go on and on and on. Funny how my writing doesn't reflect that. The YouTube videos, however, are another matter. :-D