Tuesday, December 05, 2006

204. No Pun Intended

“Taren, launch the anti-spades,” said the voice.

“But my liege, we are not undersea. Why waste the resource?”

“Not a waste at all. John thinks we are undersea. If we don’t respond with countermeasures, they will learn sooner rather than later that we are elsewhere. Now launch the counter attack.

“Yes, my liege.”

“Dr. X, how is our little null doing?”

“Better than anticipated. Let’s just say glowing blue, such an amazing biological adaptation, really quite remarkable, but forgive me for my digression. We are getting a much better response than any of my research indicated would be the case, as, I believe, is evidenced by our opponent’s confusion. She is paying off in spades, no pun intended.”

“Excellent. I have big plans for our little friend. Now what is the update on Calfuray?”

“Fully recovered and, if I might humbly say so, stronger than before. She is itching to redeem herself, as you might imagine.”

“So much good news dear doctor, I hardly know how to contain myself, no pun intended either. Have my dear girl come for a visit. I have an assignment I think will make her very happy. And by the way doctor, please refrain from any itching metaphors, which reminds me, how is our friend Shen?”

“Humble, my lord, humble.”

“Good. Have him come see me with Calfuray. Never hurts to have a little insurance, especially the disposable kind. Now, dear doctor, tell me more about this glowing blue adaptation.”

“Hmm, where to start, where to start . . .”

Categories: Story, Taren, The Voice, Dr. X

14 comments:

Trée said...

:-D

Steve, you may be right. :-)

Dzeni said...

Great graphic. Those colours work really well together. The story, as usual is compelling. Looking forward to the next installment (what else is new)?

Trée said...

Thanks Jenni. The next chapter between Kyra and Yul, preparing for her dinner with John, assuming I have the skill to pull it off, should be a very interesting chapter were something wicked this way comes. :-)

tsduff said...

I think you are just itching to write that next chapter... if you haven't already! Your fractal looks like little flying razors.

Trée said...

Terry, the chapter between Kyra and Yul is so clear in my mind I can see it like I'm remembering a movie. I just don't know how I can describe the complexities of this scene in words--yet. I haven't been too happy with the quality of my writing of late, which could be a sign to take a break. Part of me just wants to outline what happened without trying to write it, which would cure my writing woes since I wouldn't really be writing. That might be how we see this next chapter. Ask me tomorrow and I'll give you a different opinion. :-D

Stargazer said...

I haven't been too happy with the quality of my writing of late...

I don't know Trée, the quality of your writing seems fine to me. I always look forward to the next installment. :)

Stargazer said...

...and your images are always so impressive. I don't know how you manage both so well. Both story and images are awesome.

Trée said...

Thank you Deb. I do greatly appreciate your kind words. Some chapters are better than others as with the images. How good, I never know, but I do know this. I love the story and I love the characters and so I will try and continue to do them justice. Besides, there is no law that says I couldn't rewrite anything I wanted. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

:-) Ohh la la, so very exciting!!

Trée said...

:-D

Sometimes these little short chapters are the most fun to write. Lots of little hints of action to come. Not to mention, I'm so excited to have Calfuray back in the story. I've missed my sexy little assassin. :-D

Karen said...

Hmmm... intrigued!

Trée said...

Me too. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

Excited to see her back in the story and to hear more! She's been a real tease thus far.
PS Evening, xo :-)

Trée said...

I think I'm going to do a full chapter on the sexy assassin. Maybe a full one on her just getting dressed, for her mission. Cal is one hawt alien. I could play with her all night. :-D