Thursday, December 07, 2006

206. Birthday Girl


Emy put the finishing touches on her solar garden, stood back and smiled. Should go well with her shell collection, she thought. Putting the garden aside, she grabbed her jacket and headed out the door. Hardly two steps into the hall she saw Yul coming her way.

"Hey Yul, where you headed?" smiled Em.

"What the frail business is it of yours?" snapped Yul, without making eye contact or slowing down her purposeful stride as she passed Em.

Stopping, Em turned and without forfeiting her smile said, "Frail you."

Yul let out a spontaneous laugh. She had never heard those words come from Em's lips and this, she figured, was worth efforting a response. "If I had time, darlin', I'd give you the pleasure. That is, if I thought it wouldn't blow your naive little mind. Now frail off, our queen beotch wants to see me and we wouldn't want to keep her waiting now would we."

"Hey Yul, for what it's worth, today is Kyra's birthday. Be nice. I think our friend John has invited her to the captain's dinner tonight--his guest of honor she'll be, or so I hear. I think he has eyes for our dear sweet one. Fancy that. Oh, and for the record, when you are stronger that is, anytime, anyplace, anywhere. I'll be there." Emy winked and walked away.

Yul stood, lost in thought and said to no one. "Birthday girl, is that right. Well, I can't just show up empty handed now can I?"

Categories: Story, Emy, Yul

15 comments:

Keshi said...

WOW Happy Birthday Kyra :) hehehe.

Keshi.

Trée said...

Oh, Keshi, she would be pleased to know you wish her well. :-)

My birthday is June 15th, by the way, just in case you'd like to put that in your date book. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

Happy Birthday to Kyra. How many lights on the cake this year? :-)

Emy makes me laugh. The opinion that the others hold of her held against the fact that she really can, easily, hold her own. :-) Excellent, your short chapters always are. But then so are your long. :-D Size just doesn't matter.

Autumn Storm said...

Forgot to mention the fractal, and that definitely won't do, given just how beautiful it is!!!

Trée said...

Morning Sweetest Pea. So good to have you back I hardly know what to say. You are absolutely right about Em. This is one of the first times we see her standing toe to toe with Yul and actually besting her. She knows the landscape between Yul, John and Kyra, and it was no accident she decided to mention the dinner invite with that little twist of the knife with that "eyes for Kyra" comment.

Of course, this plays right into the coming chapter of Yul and Kyra as she prepares for the dinner and also further educates or sheds light on the context and background that makes the "Grace and Beauty" chapter (and I might add the one that continues that chapter) what they are.

Ooooh, so much good stuff going on I can hardly contain myself. :-D

tsduff said...

The garden is so alien, but so beautiful :-) Happy birthday to Kyra. Love the catty interplay between the two gals. toodles - off to bed.

Trée said...

Thanks Steve. I created this one a few days ago and liked it so much I decided to create a short chapter to showcase it. That it happened to be Kyra's birthday, was, no pun intended, just icing on the cake. :-D

Trée said...

Terry, I don't think they are ready to make nice yet. :-D

I think Em is coming into her own (which could be in part that she has just reached that breaking point with all the letters--notice she was not able to write one in the last chapter), which makes me wonder what the conversation was between Yul and Em that night that Yul woke her up in "Frail Me." Or was that Em interrupting Yul's little solo party. :-D

Trée said...

Well, I could be proxy for Kyra. Would that work for you? It works for me. :-D

Trée said...

Variety. I love variety. But I also love a good sincere spanking done with integrity. You must put your heart and soul into it. Believe me, I'll know if you are faking it. :-D

Does that answer your question? :-)

Trée said...

Now that's the kinda talk I like to hear. :-D

Stargazer said...

Wonderful colors in that image :)

Trée said...

Thanks Deb. They remind me of the Southwest, of Arizona.

Karen said...

Yul sure knows how to rile Emy up. I can imagine how mad she'll be.

Happy birthday, Kyra!

*HUGS & KISSES* to you and Jack!

Trée said...

Hugs and kisses to you to Karen. Jack has been missing you of late. :-D

In this scene, I think Emy is the one that has figured out how to get under Yul's skin, and in many ways, what we see later is the result of this chance encounter. Funny how much of life is the result of some seemingly insignificant encounter, like this chance meeting, at this exact time, between Yul and Emy. If either of them had been thirty seconds early or late, they would have missed each other and Yul would have gone to see Kyra without the vial and everything that happens after that would have been very different. Call it the working of Fate or call it luck or just call it unfortunate. So the story goes. :-D