Monday, August 02, 2010

788. not as now

In the woods lived a lady, known, it seemed, to Papa and I alone. We didn’t see her much in the summer when berries were plentiful, but in the winter, the path between her hut and Valla remained warm of our feet, the stones rubbed of snow, polished by our labors, through the wood, up the hill.

She lived alone. The food we brought, her only sustenance against the low sun and short days. She was about the same age as Papa and he had said they had known each other many years ago, for from the look in her eyes, she knew of no one any longer. Papa spoke of another time when what was tangled flowed over her shoulders like wine, and what was now yellowed in neglect, were as white as stars. She was then, he said, not as now.

When we walked that walk between the snow laden firs, and our hands strained with pot and pan, our backs with sacks of rice and grain, nut and berry, we did not speak. The sound of our labor, of breath neighing in the cold, of feet searching for traction, of backs silently aching of weight borne, this and this alone is the memory. Our prayer he said, although I suspected more in the way of penitence, for what was carried seemed more than necessary, more than vine and victual.

He said she had suffered. Her pain immeasurable. His advice sought. And given. Let go he had told her. Release judgment. Unattach from that which does not stop. Sit with the energy. Do not dam it or even try and direct it, but just sit, be.

So she did. Severed every relationship she had. Let everything she ever had go and walked into the woods. He spoke of it once and never more. But for as long as I can remember, every winter, we spoke with our feet. It was the only time I never saw him smile.

7 comments:

Trée said...

as told to Von from the porch of the cottage

Trée said...

I seldom read my own work once it is posted, but for some inexplicable reason, this post is different. It literally changes my frame of mind and takes me to places not yet clear.

Grace said...

hello, friend :)

I have several comments.

First. The decor around DT is so LOVELY and bright these days! NOT that I didn't love the dark days...but this brings a fresh new energy to your blog - like you've thrown open the windows on a warm Spring day, and have let the breeze in.

Second. This post IS different. I'm still trying to put my finger on it but there's this deep undercurrent of "something" that lies just beneath the surface of the words.

Maybe it's that I remember a time in my own life when I 'let go' of everything and travelled to a lonely place - not in the woods, but in the middle of my own soul. And it was there, during the cold barren days of the "winter of my discontent" that Someone brought me daily sustenance as well, born in the arms of love.

Or maybe it's because all of us have, at some time or another, thought about chucking it all and leaving...cutting ourselves from the moorings of pain long felt, and setting ourselves adrift. To a new home. Somewhere. :)

Maybe.

What do I know?

Oh - well - I DO know that I loved this piece and felt it.

Were they lovers once? As young people? Papa and the Lady???

Trée said...

Grace, I'm on the road at the moment, so just a short reply for now. Wow! What a wonderful comment. You warm my heart with your words and renew my enthusiasm for the power of the written word. Hope you have a weekend filled with happiness and joy. And lots of gummi bears.

As for Papa and the Lady, not sure yet. There was something. Just what is uncertain. And it could be, Papa will never say. :-)

Autumn said...

To reach back into comments of the past, this post is a bough. Receptors are fluttering, fluttering on the edge of infinite possibility, every second thought about this post feels like a dive, exhilarating without doubt, but as always the knowledge is at best there will be balance, of joy, of sadness...I do hope, we will have the opportunity to watch this part of the tree grow, at least a little, there is a life here, one that breathes still in Kyra.

Autumn said...

PS LOVE the image

Trée said...

Autumn, not sure where this post is going, if anywhere as it relates to the story. I'd like to give the characters a little more depth, to peel back what is not always on the surface and to see the complexity and contradictions inherent in us all. As always, thanks for the wonderful comment. :-)