Wednesday, August 25, 2010

1944 (enough)

He had wide margins. I could breathe, swim, jump, run and know, through it all, he was there, same easy smile, same blanket arms. Virgil was Sunday morning breakfast. He was a full bellied afternoon nap. My fingers as children running through the waves of his hair. Waterfalling those beautiful brown eyes. He was the ground under this war and I knew no matter how much we moved, he would not. A harbor into I sailed. Fresh as ocean breeze. But all I can remember now is the smell of his blood on my hands and the taste upon my lips as I kissed his eyes shut. Of how time is not what we think it is.

I’ve lived a night and a day that seem as years and I’ve lived years that seem as nothing. The weight of a thing is measured not in seconds or minutes or hours. Just put your head under water and tell me of the air that enters your lungs after only a minute, maybe two. He was that breath. He was a light to eyes that had never known light. He was a reason prior not known, and as quickly, never again found.

But nothing is as words posit them to be, something always missing or lacking in the writing. He was everything in my life that was not indifference. Never has a man brought so many smiles and so many tears and for neither would I trade the world for I have lived with him as few live and I have lived without him as even fewer could. He entered my life, briefly and changed it forever. And he never knew.

So I dream of heaven, not for my sake, but his. That in his waiting, he had a place to know of where he took me. And I dream of heaven for how could he not come to know of what he gave me? How could he not be waiting to take me for that walk through the pasture, his hands behind his back, head bowed, listening to my years, the memory of him I kept sacred, of how I loved and never forgot that in this life there is but one path that crosses another and to meet at that crossroads, even for just the night and day we had, is enough.

7 comments:

Trée said...

Image taken from the front of a M.I.L.K. card. Look for them in your local bookstore.

Medhini said...

beautiful blog! I am so happy to have discovered it... Loved it and will come for more...

Trée said...

Thanks Medhini. Welcome to DT. Hope to see you come again. :-)

Unknown said...

Trée,absolutely wonderful!

Trée said...

Thanks Lisa. Kind words always warmly welcomed. Hope and trust you are well. :-)

Autumn said...

I loved this upon reading it, and that appreciation has only increased. The opening phrases are delicious, I love the wholesome feel, grounded, essential and common to Life, fabulously descriptive, same blanket arms is particularly wonderful for all the reasons stated.

There is a wonderful sense of freeflow to that first paragraph, of thoughts being shared, apparently haphazardly, but the descriptions are so familiar, so known and real in other words, that one follows the other like night follows day and along side, simultaneously, there is a sense of old and of new, which to my mind is so wonderfully apt, so wonderfully natural to the strength of emotion that lies within. How utterly delightful and terribly provocative is Of how time is not what we think it is.

Mary has a hold unlike any other of your characters...perhaps because her loss was what we were first introduced to, there is something singular about her in this respect, in her definition, so much of what you write really, yet to say so directly sounds terribly cliche. Although so many of your characters have carved a place in my heart, Mary's is unique.

Your 1944 posts are exquisite, each and every one. This one is no exception, My heart aches having read, in equal measures of joy for what she had and sadness for her loss, and within the two there is all of life.

Trée said...

I think Mary is unique in that she lives, as you say, that singular life. Everything about her focuses on the events of just one night and one morning. And to think that such a short period of time could forever change a life, is humbling because we know it to be true and we know how casually we throw hours out the window without a second thought. Mary has done just the opposite with those hours. They have become the axis of her world. And to want to know of such an experience, of what that must have been like, is the attraction. So we drink of her as of the sweetest wine and in the writing and in the reading, there is intoxication.

I suppose if I could have coffee with any one of my characters, as much as I love Kyra, I think it would be Mary. And I think, like the mother of "the girl" in the Story of Kyra who tells her to go see him on the dock so that she, the mother, might know of the hug and kiss, I think I too would want to sit with Mary to know of the look in her eye, to know of the lifting of the cup to her lips, of how the words roll forth from some sacred place within. Strange thing is, I can picture her in my mind as clearly as if I knew her. And I'll say this: she is gorgeous. I can see what Virgil saw. :-)

As always my dear Autumn, your comments make my day and have started my weekend on such a positive note. Sending hugs to you and the girls from across the pond. :-)