Thursday, July 23, 2009

678. Outtake #9: Goodbye

"What's wrong now?" Rog asks.

"Nothing," Yul says.

"Frail that. Something's wrong."

Yul sighs.

"Talk to me."

"Alright, you want to know?"

"Not really."

"It's goodbye."

"What are you talking about?"

"Goodbye. Don't you understand?"

"Mairi? You're upset that Mairi left?"

"No jackarse. You just don't get it do you?"

"Get what?"

"How long have you known me?"

"Almost four years, but--"

"And what has defined my life?"

"I don't know. What?"

"Goodbye. My whole frailing life has been defined by goodbyes."

"And?"

"And? Is that it? Is that all you got? And?"

"What?"

"Nevermind."

"Whatever."

"Yeah, you can take that whatever with your clothes."

"Frail me."

"Good luck with that. Oh, and Rog?"

"I'm not listening."

"Yes you are."

"No. I'm. Not.

"Yes. You. Are."

"What then?"

"Nothing."


ed note: Outtake chapters may or may not have happened. A chapter becomes an outtake for one of two reasons: either (1) the writing is lackluster or not fully developed, lacking a certain gravitas; or (2) the scene in question doesn't fit the story or the character in some way. The former is the case here. Still, outtakes, like in the movies, are always fun to see, which is why I post them.

8 comments:

snowelf said...

It's like deleted scenes for writing. I love it! I think it's a byproduct of experimenting with characters you love jut because you can.

--snow

Trée said...

Snow, you are absolutely right. Sometimes you just want to play with the paint for the joy of playing. :-)

Leslie Morgan said...

The image looks rather lime-y, with a dash of lemon. I like that.

The chord you struck today: " . . my life has been defined by goodbyes. . " Yow.

Trée said...

Lime, I've been haunted by my goodbyes and the endless recriminations over whiskey.

S. said...

Your outtakes, Trée, are as tuned, and just as riveting, as your intakes.

:-P

Trée said...

S., for you, red wine tonight. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

I am glad to see this is an outtake for one reason and one reason only. With everything that is going on with Em and Trev at the moment, to think that Yul and Rog are having problems also, and with indirectly linked kindles, would be too much to handle. :) Seriously, it is always a great pleasure to see an exchange between the two of them, and I couldn't help giggling as other verbal exchanges came to mind, in particular the one where she calls him a Yakmuk's ass or some such thing. Their conversations very often humourous on the one hand, but very real, somber, on the other, and not only are they always fluid and natural, but such good reading. The two very different people that they are shown faithfully each time they appear, differences which cause those sparks to fly, whatever kind of sparks be the ones of the moment. Funniest and most enticing line within: "Not really Most stirring and ongoing: "Goodbye. My whole frailing life has been defined by goodbyes." A great pleasure as always.

Trée said...

Sweetest, this one has the slight tinge of biography. I'll leave it at that. :-)