Monday, July 20, 2009

1944 (heels as hammers)

I walk by store fronts. I do not recognize my reflection. I do not know that lady dressed in wool, a brownish-green jacket with matching hat. I see her. And it is as if she is looking at me from the other side of the glass, from a world separated by time. And she stares, neither smiling nor frowning. Quiet as Tuesday night, sitting in a tent, drinking whiskey, spilling whiskey, rubbing the smell into my cheeks, mixing it with my tears, wanting the burning in my throat to consume my bottomless pain, to consume my flesh like acid, to take me to him. I wonder if that lady knows what I know. I wonder how she copes. I wonder if she'll join me for coffee, if she will listen, listen so intently that she absorbs the anguish from my words. Just once I wish she'd speak. Just once I'd like to hear what she has to say. Just once I'd like to be her.

The streets are almost empty now. A young boy selling newspapers on the corner. A shopkeeper sweeping, his white apron looking pregnant. And a few other ladies walking leisurely in twos, always in twos like doves, always chatting and pointing, sharing opinions, making judgments, looking animated. And smiling. With ease. They smile without effort. Something the lady in the window never does.

The morning sheds its warm light and the birds seem to retire to wherever they go past morning. Shadows take on an edge and there is the echo. Footsteps. Petit heels on inlaid brick. Always following, just out of sight. The heels of a woman. I know this because I know the heels of a man, moving with direction, stamping the ground with purpose. Like the sound of a hammer. The sound of something being done, for who questions a hammer. Who questions a man walking like he knows where he is going. This diffident echo was not that. It was not the squawk of a crow, or the crow of a rooster, but more a wallflower of a tweet, something heard but not seen.

He had walked like that. Feet, heels as hammers. His arms full of limpness. His eyes lost in the pain of a child who doesn't understand. A child forced into adult action, forced to suffer adult pain. And he wore his blood like indian rouge, like two brothers playing in the backyard, which surely they must have done not long before. And he wore it as if to say what his lips could not. Those heels hanging. Muddy. And those heels pounding. How would they know of that. With their smiles and pointing and laughing as if laughs were free and smiles were easy. They don't hear the heels. They don't know the echo, the sound of heels like hammers, the sound of heels hanging limp. They don't hear them at all.

But I do.

__________

She orders coffee. And a café au lait. One to breathe. One to drink, drown her throat, warm her belly. He had smelled of many things, of fresh turned earth, of wood and tobacco, perhaps the courage of whiskey, but he had tasted of coffee. His coal black eyes as if filled with a dark brew, her reflection, the cream, twirling in his eyes, rising and falling, as the coffee from a pot, pouring into her, into her whiteness, her vessel, her porcelain features and in the pouring, and in the filling, of her holding him within, the warmth, those coffee black eyes, two, as the two cups on her table. One to drink. The other to remember.

__________

The lady in the window. A twin sister. Separated at birth? Advancing in years, maturing somehow where she had not. Ahead of her perhaps, in life. Too far to call, voices lost in the wind. Maybe this was her way, to appear in a reflection, to say I am here if only . . .

If only. She never could get pass if only. Never could finish the sentence. What did that mean? If only what? If only she had not loved? If only she were not so foolish to think of love in a moment, in the time less than two dawns? Who arbitrated love, right from wrong, casting judgment from what bench? Upon what right? These smilers. These laughers. Always so happy. Snug as bugs in the cocoon of safe lives. A phone call away from their knees.

More coffee he says. I shake my head. Perhaps a fresh cup, he offers . . .

__________

Mary, she says. Mary he is calling for you. Do you know him? Did I know him . . .

She hears it now, those words, the way they were said, four words, whipping the air. The tongue cracking as lightning. Mary, she says again. Mary. And she reaches for her arm as it had been reached for, as she had been grab and shaken, to those four words. A fresh cup arrives.

Down the way, in her small town, is a war museum, next to the library. It smells of the past. Not as it was, but how it is now, past. The air is filled with . . . what is it, an air of distance, of a certain contradiction, a falseness in the way that hail stored in the freezer is false, in the way that a jacket from one's youth fits not the same frame in age. Still, the pull is there. An invisible string drawing her in where sight becomes scent and scent the night, wrapped in metal, the chimes of morphine as sweet as any injection. She knows the old docent. He smiles. Never asking any questions. Watching from behind the counter, his eyes glassing over as if his lids could no longer contain the weight of this place or, perhaps, the weight of her visits, always in green, always on Tuesdays, always alone.

10 comments:

Autumn said...

With this post, I find myself pausing so long over particular parts that when I get to the end, I realize that I need to turn back to the beginning for they have so filled my mind with their beauty and possibility, washed me along in their wave, I feel like I haven't read all there is to read yet.
I find the beginning very interesting. Four facts given as an introduction, the voice reminds me of one that I have heard before but I am not sure of what I am listening to at this point, whether it is restraint or discretion for example, or simply a setting of scene, the specification of context, or perhaps none of these things, perhaps just the way it was spoken, but the emotion within the whiskey asked for the consideration. It is clear even as I do it that the other side of the glass, from a world separated by time should not be seperated from the rest of the post in the manner that I am doing so, putting the spotlight upon it by quoting it, but in order to make amends comment on this first thread of a sentence that is stitched elsewhere, beneath and above will be no more than to say it caught the light and the reflections are sparkling and multiple.

Autumn said...

There is such a wonderful passion to your written words, when I spoke yesterday of stress and intonation, I forgot to mention pace, and with it the reason, or rather one of the reasons why requests for readings are made. I've said as much many times before, but unlike much of what I have read in my lifetime, all genres, your words are heard, not read. It is as though the actual act, real though it is, of reading disappears, that as the words rise from the page and enter into the consciousness, they morph, from letter on a page, to sounds carried on particles of air, that are not just heard, but seem to permeate. Sparks light, delight swirls. burning and acid, consume and pain and anguish, crashing, not violently, but crucially. Mozartian composition, the lead lending even greater intensity to the Just echoes. Just once I'd like to be her. as capturing as from the other side of the glass, from a world separated by time, just this first paragraph has the ability to absorb in a way that feels almost as if it would be hard to escape were the decision made to stay too long.

Autumn said...

Excellent strokes in the second paragraph, the world that surrounds brought to our attention once again, reminding us not only of perspective, of individuality, of lives moving among each other, oblivious much of the time to the equal fullness of the other. Seen through eyes that notice the difference, that not only sees the smiles, but sees the lack, thread visible that began before as there is recognition of something from inside in another.
The first two sentences of paragraph three are perfectly demonstrative of your creativity, of how abundant your gift for creative writing is. These are the types of sentences that will not be repeated no matter how many monkeys sit at a typewriter for how long (that old Shakespeare theory), well, of course I cannot stand by that, but that these are original, that these are inspired, that these are yours, that much stands firm. As is the scope of perception and concept that brought that charismatic exploration, depiction of footsteps. Who questions..., brilliant, and lost in awe one becomes with every thrilling read of It was not the squawk of a crow, or the crow of a rooster, but more a wallflower of a tweet, something heard but not seen. Maestro, of words, of expression, I could dance all night.

Autumn said...

Two main points for paragraph four noticed so many times before an uncanny ability to show rather than tell, to speak within the pauses, to somehow incorporate an entirety within a particle (I'll refer to that as DNA writing from now on just to save my fingers and your eyes;-), his heels, their ears, her eyes, I find myself struggling to find a way to word what you do, but you know what you done in this passage, what you have conveyed and if you haven't taken note subsequent to posting, do, and watch how this passage is constructed, amazing. The second point is the utterly stirring, wholly precise and explicit His eyes lost in the pain of a child who doesn't understand., the vividness of the image, of the understanding is both remarkable in size and speed, explosive, piercing and unforgettable. Simple, direct, in seconds a thousand images of eyes such as you describe descending, your words were never more vivid.

Autumn said...

I love the part that reads
He had smelled of many things..., beautifully written and the whole passage that compares his eyes to coffee, her reflection within them as cream, that speaks of pouring and holding and warming is divine, simply. One to drink. The other to remember. The Story may have led a longer life, I may have spent more time with it, know it more intimately, but comparatively 1944 breeds as much love.
Too consumed with that, Too far to call, voices lost in the wind. Maybe this was her way, to appear in a reflection, to say I am here if only . . . I leave for now, to return after pause, coffee and if not long enough, tomorrow.

Trée said...

Sunshine, your comments breathe life into my desire, my hope, my dreams, the lust of my fingers for the pen, of my imagination for the sky. :-)

Woman in a Window said...

Will I always finish your posts and cuss? I let it out loud and gutteral, the UUUCUCCKKKkkkkk long and trailing off. For real. Fuck.

"The sound of something being done, for who questions a hammer." Jesus Christ, do you know how good you are?

"It smells of the past. Not as it was, but how it is now, past." JeZUZ. I've stood there. I've known that. Right there at that oil stained counter. It fills my nose even now.

And your artwork is simply beyond comment. You are a jewel.

Trée said...

Erin, I read your comments and I want to play in mud and rain, my fingers as palette knifes, spatulas, twirling flesh as clay, wet, smooth, firm, warm flesh. Oh, and I like it when you cuss. Feel free to cuss all you like. :-)

S. said...

This has limbs that stretch beyond brilliance in a way that only silence knows better...

Just incredible...

Trée said...

S., you are very kind and I thank you for that kindness. :-)