Tuesday, July 14, 2009

671. the way she looked

Trev had loss weight. His face a construction of triangles. More it seemed each day. Each with an edge and one had the feeling that what laid at the summit of that geometry would require much rope and skill to ascertain.

"She's gone now," said Em.

"I know," said Trev.

"You were the only one not there."

"And?"

"I could see it in her eyes, the way she looked."

"And pray tell how would that be?"

"Just as you have described it. On a rainy day. Looking across the brown and black and gray of the dock, looking for one primrose head, bobbing with the desire to see you."

His chest rose and dropped as if the sigh were the breath of a weightlifter. The angles of his face sharpened into shades and shadows like ledges. Like a face of knife edges.

Em continued. "She whispered something to me. When I hugged her goodbye."

"I don't want to hear it."

"Well, you're gonna hear it."

"If I wanted to hear it, I would have been there."

"It was her wish. Would you deny her a last wish? Is your heart that insecure? Or is it just the demons of your secrets that you fear?"

"Say it. Just frailing say it!"

Em moved closer. Lowered her voice and leaned into his ear as a bird into the side of a cliff. "She said to tell you that in every birth were the seeds of death. She said you'd know what that meant."

Trev pulled back. "I have no idea what that means."

"Is that right?"

"Absolutely."

"Then why would she say that you would deny the phrase? Why Trev?"

"I don't know."

"Well, I suggest you learn yourself up quick. In your own quarters."

4 comments:

Autumn said...

Beginnings, your beginnings are invariably well done, compelling and enthralling from the very first words. Your expressions excite, graceful, innovative and creative, and just plain gorgeous. So much so, I'm quoting it, putting it here, just so that I won't keep jumping off the comments page to go read it once more.
Trev had loss weight. His face a construction of triangles. More it seemed each day. Each with an edge and one had the feeling that what laid at the summit of that geometry would require much rope and skill to ascertain.

This chapter is so intriguing, following on from the few chapters that involved the three of them from some time ago, but mostly for this chapter in itself. The disclosing nature of how Mairi looked, the use of his own words, and in doing so, she, he and we are all very much aware of how well he understands, hopeful turned hopeless, forlorn, charged by the trading of roles. The sigh that he releases, just to cite one such example within this incredibly expressive piece, is remarkably heavy, absorbing, one cannot rush this piece, the pace is slow, deep, laden with meaning, voiced and unvoiced. The phrasing brilliant. Like a face of knife edges
This chapter is so gripping, I'm still gripped thoroughly within, wondering what thoughts will consume his mind when he is alone in his own quarters. Brilliant, brilliant chapter.

Trée said...

Sunshine, wait till you see what happens when Trev goes back to his quarters. :-D

Sigh, as always your comments delight me like the smell of fresh baked bread and I want to pour wine red in glasses clean, to dine on the balcony before the fruited vines bathed in the glory of the golden sun kissing the earth. Want to join me for dinner, and, perhaps, if you are good, dessert too?

j said...

I am behind on The Story once again. When I first started reading, I was behind and here I am again.

This was a powerful exchange between Em and Trev - she seemed so accusing.

Trée said...

Jen, I think Em suspects there is more the Trev and Mairi than Trev has told her and it is the "not telling" more than the deed that has her a bit upset. In other words, Trev is being a jackarse again. :-D