Thursday, March 02, 2006

77. Kieran


Many years later Kyra claims to have no memory of the dash from her quarters to Trev’s lab. Everything Papa had ever taught her about here and now abandoned her in that short sprint. She remembers Goldie waking her and she remembers the look on Trev’s face before those first fateful words reluctantly flowed forth. The short period in-between is forever blank.


The Interview (from earth):

T: Kyra, what went through your mind when Goldie woke you?

K: Fear. Disorientation. Need for action, need for information, but mostly a sense that the worst had happened, that Kieran had passed away and I had been helpless to do anything about it.

T: What was the last thing you remember?

K: I remember seeing the monitors’ flat-lining, calling for help, realizing that the door was locked and only Trev had the ability to open it, throwing myself, repeatedly against it, blood everywhere. My last memory before Goldie woke me was that damn door that wouldn’t budge.

T: Any memory of seeing Trev?

K: None.

T: Let’s get back to the window. More emotion than we’ve seen from you before. Can you tell us what was going through your mind?

K: You have to remember, our homeworld was no more. What was left of our people were scattered to the winds of the universe and we, the eight of us on Bravo-Four-Zero, were heading into the uncharted territories. We had no contact with any other Hynerians and no expectation we would ever see any of our kind again. Now think about that for a minute.

T: Sobering. Please continue.

K: Well, I was a young female Hynerian. Had no desire to live my life alone and of the four males onboard Kieran was the only one I had feelings for. Rog was a great guy but not my type. Trev, heart of gold and sweet as could be, but again, not quite what I needed. But Kieran was different. Kieran was . . .

Editor: Kyra’s eyes started to water and she asked for a short break.

T: Kyra, are you ready to continue?

K: I’m sorry, even after all these years the emotions of that time still have the ability to overwhelm me.

T: I understand.

K: Kieran was special. Unlike any other Hynerian, well, except one [ed: we see the first smile from Kyra], that I had ever known. He could be so many things. Within his hands he could hold good and evil, strength and weakness, power and humility, all in equal measure and be neither deceived nor seduced by those concepts—almost as if he could stand outside the reality all the rest of lived in.

T: When did you learn he was a child of the shells?

K: I never knew till . . .

T: Do you need another break?

K: No, no, it’s ok. Just been awhile since I’ve recreated these memories. I had no idea until I walked, or was that stormed into Trev’s lab. Kieran had never spoken to anyone about it. Then again, that’s the way he was.

T: Let’s get back to the window. Tell us how you cut your hands. Trev said they were in pretty bad shape when he got to you.

K: Well, I was standing outside the iso room. There is a window to observe the patient. Kieran appeared to be resting peacefully, the incongruity of which only further fueled my emotional state. We had lost contact with Rog and Emy, the Tear had closed and there was every possibility they would not arrive back with the medicine in time. Remember, Kieran had reached stage two, which meant he had an estimated forty-eight hours and I have to emphasize estimated because no one really knew. I think the uncertainty combined with the sense of helplessness created a unique emotional situation.

Kieran was such a handsome young Hynerian. And he looked so peaceful standing bravely on the edge of death, and there was not a damn thing we could do but wait. Then it hit me. This could really be it. He might never come out of the peaceful drug-induced slumber. He might never see the sun again. Actually, I thought he might not ever see me again and, as a result, would have never heard the words I had so longed to whisper quietly in his ear. I felt a surge of regret I’d never felt before.

Then, almost as if my body acted on its own, I remember seeing my hands ball into fists and hurl themselves in frustration against the glass. The rings I wore just sliced through my flesh and blood went everywhere. Really was quite a mess I made.

T: Did Kieran have any idea how you felt about him?

K: None.

T: None?

K: Never said a word, never showed my hand in any way. I may have even subconsciously acted a little cold toward him to cover the approaches of my heart. Who knows in matters such as these? I may have been Zeke's granddaughter, but I was no Papa at this stage of my life. You know, Goldie was so right. I did miss Papa.

T: What do you think Papa would have said to you if he had been there at the window?

K: Papa would have hugged me, told me not the resist the flow of energy but to embrace it. Then he would have told me how proud he was that there was so much love in my heart. Then he would have found a way to bust down that damn door. [much laughter]

T: So you “storm into” Trev’s lab. What’s the first thing he says to you?

K: Sit down.

T: Okay [interviewer smiles], so you are sitting down . . .

K: Oh no. I didn’t sit.

T: Oh.

K: I stood in front of his desk, put my bandaged hands down like a cat ready to pounce and said . . .

T: Yes?

K: I said Trev, no pampus-shiott. What happened.

T: And.

K: He said in a voice I had never heard before—SIT DOWN.

T: Sounds uncharacteristic of Trev.

K: It was.

T: So did you sit down?

K: Yep, although my eyes never left his. And then he started from the moment he got my distress message.

T: What did he say about his delay?

K: He said he never got my first messages.

T: Did you believe him?

K: Didn’t matter. Water under the bridge at that point.

T: But you don’t remember him arriving?

K: Nope, he says I was unconscious when he arrived. Apparently, on my last attempt to bust the door down I knocked myself out. He did say he was initially terrified when he saw me lying in a bloody mess unconscious.

T: And then?

K: And then as soon as he realized I was going to be okay he called Mel to come look after me.

T: So now he’s in the room with Kieran.

K: Yes.

T: You saw Kieran’s life support monitor’s flat-lining. Did Trev verify that fact?

K: Yes.

T: From the time you first saw them to the time he walked in the room—how much time had passed?

K: Trev estimated five to six minutes.

T: Could a Hynerian live that long? Do you know what I’m asking?

K: You’re asking if Kieran could live or survive for more than five minutes without blood flow.

T: Yes.

K: No.

T: Did you blame yourself for his death?

K: I think I would have had a great deal of guilt, if he had died at that point.

T: So he was still alive?

K: [smiling] Yes. I told you he was one of a kind.

T: Was he just that extraordinary, just that much stronger than the average Hynerian?

K: Stronger, no. Extraordinary, yes.

T: Please explain.

K: I didn’t know until Trev told me. Kieran was a child of the shells. Remember my shell story?

T: Yes, every school child had to build a shell collection of both regular and irregular shells. Hynerian culture valued those that were different.

K: True. Remember, Hyneria was on an elliptical orbit. Twice a year the planet approached the sun and the extreme radiation caused birth defects in all life forms. Most were rather cosmetic, not too severe. Just as shellfish were deformed so too Hynerian babies. One of every seven Hynerians were affected. Hence, we developed a deep sense of compassion for those that were different.

T: So the babies that were born with a defect . . .

K: Yes, they were called children of the shells.

T: What was Kieran’s birth defect?

K: He was born with two hearts.

T: No shiott?

K: [more laughter] No shiott, as you say.

T: Was this common?

K: Extremely rare. Kieran was the first double heart shell child I ever met.

T: So the life support monitors . . .

K: They were wrong. The equipment we had was not calibrated for a dual-heart Hynerian. When one of his hearts shut down the monitors malfunctioned, but the beauty of two hearts is the other can keep you alive. And so it did.

T: You must have been relieved.

K: Yes and no. Relieved he was alive, yes. But the basic situation had not changed. Kieran was down to one functioning heart, the virus was having an impact. The clock was ticking. We were down to perhaps hours and still we could not establish communication with Rog nor did we know if when we did whether it would be too late.

Lesson of the Shells

43 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are very very bad ROFLMAO :0)

you are just going to drag this out aren't you....make the anticipation just that much worse, but see, its all good cuz I know the payoff will be worth it :0D

LOL

Trée said...

You've inspired me in the art of the tease. Afraid I will never live up to the master but I'm going to have fun trying. :-D

Anonymous said...

wow that is beautiful!

Trée said...

Thanks Trace. I'll leave you guys guessing as to how this image moves the story. I hope there is still an element of suspense. :-)

Anonymous said...

oh I think the suspense is still there, oh king of the cliffhanger :0)

(and have I mentioned lately how tickled I am that we are getting story again?)

:0)

Anonymous said...

Tre n teasing is a wicked combination ;-)

Keshi.

Trée said...

Hey Keshi, are you bathing in the present moment my dear dark haired angel who speaks with a wisdom beyond her years? :-)

Trée said...

Trace, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the return of the story. :-)

Anonymous said...

I see the figure 8. I looked hard for Kieran, but no... ;)

Trée said...

Chicky, I thought for sure you would see the 69, but at last you saw the 8. Mmm . . . :-D

Anonymous said...

More teasing, okay, can live with that, getting used to it, starting to enjoy it, though I will say this: Dream sweet and awake creative. :-)

Anonymous said...

Cool frac btw

Anonymous said...

Good morning darlin, woo hoo its Friday :0D

Hope you have a great day (hugs)

Anonymous said...

Echoing Trace :-D

Trée said...

Thanks Sunshine and Tube. You guys have a great Friday, and Tube, we be expecting a full update sometime late tonight or in the early morning hours. :-D

Anonymous said...

damn, I gotta remember to scroll down LOL snuck this in on me and I almost missed it :0)

love the format of the interview, that is just fab, really great, and another great cliffhanger, ya tease LOL :0D

Trée said...

I didn't want to say anything since I'm not finished. Been writing bits and pieces all day and updating with each new exchange. You're the first to find it. :-)

Anonymous said...

:0) almost missed it, had I not been headed to your blogroll (which I use more than mine sometimes LOL) I would have never seen it :0)

really is very good, just love the idea of the interview and her remembering what happened

Trée said...

I was ready for something a little different. Oh, and this interview is just getting started. :-D

I do like the idea that it brings us back to Earth and I like the idea that Kyra is here, on Earth just a few hundred miles from me.

Wanna go island hopping in our own treasure hunt?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and this interview is just getting started

LOL oh goodie :0)

Wanna go island hopping in our own treasure hunt
sounds like my kind of adventure, what kinda treasure will we be looking for :0)

Trée said...

For Kyra silly. :-)

I could see this interview going on for days.

Anonymous said...

:0)

Anonymous said...

(tubey settles in with her popcorn and diet coke) this is better than television LOL too many breaks though and right at the good parts LOL :0D

Trée said...

I'm surprised you haven't asked about the "Child of the Shells" bombshell early in the interview. This is very significant to Kieran's fate. :-D

Anonymous said...

I'm trying out my new patience skills LOL was going to be nice and just wait until you spilled the beans :0) (unless of course it took to long LOL)

Trée said...

You do remember the story of the shells don't you? Just teasing, I know you do. I so love tying this story together from the early bits. :-)

Anonymous said...

I so love tying this story together from the early bits

It is great

and one of my favorite lines is in The Lesson of the Shells

"To be different was to be embraced, cherished and loved.

Trée said...

Oh, and don't forget the fractal. This fractal and the story of the shells go hand-in-hand. Once you know the story, this fractal will blow your socks off and then blow them back on before you can say "Oh My" three times. :-D

Anonymous said...

Damn Trée, why do you say stuff like that ROFL you are just mean, tormenting me like that ROFLMAO

Trée said...

The greater the torture the greater the pleasure. Let's call it foreplay. :-D

Anonymous said...

:0)

Anonymous said...

(happily munching my popcorn,just waiting patiently LOL)


and then?????????


LOL

Trée said...

Oh, I think its much too early in the evening for "and then"

:-D

I think we should wait till Sunshine can get caught up. :-)

Anonymous said...

oh, alright, if we must LOL

(just kidding Thelma LOL)

Anonymous said...

yes, I told you he was one of a kind


:0) (gonna need more popcorn LOL)

Trée said...

Pass the popcorn, this is getting good. :-D

Anonymous said...

excellent!!!!!!1 :0)

Trée said...

Thank you my dear.

Anonymous said...

Holy Shiott!
Brilliant, Trée, I feel quite silly at how excited I was getting reading through that lol, finally getting the background as to what went on so very long ago :-). What an absolutely excellent idea to do an interview! and how well it ties certain things together, something you do so very well and have proved here again, especially with the reference back to the shell story. Two hearts - love, love, love fault #1!
Brilliant! :-)

Anonymous said...

This is one of your best posts ever! I love the way that you have picked up the story and used an interview format to fill in the gaps. Truly brilliant.

Trée said...

Thanks Jenni. As I was trying to come to terms on how to write this next chapter I was struggling to make the dialogue between Trev and Kyra all that long or exciting. She was going to ask right away on the status of Kieran and Trev was going to have to tell her. There was no way she was going to beat around the bush. Besides, once she knew the dual-heart, still alive bit, and thus the reader of this story too, everything else would have been anticlimatic.

Thus, the idea of an interview occured to me since Kyra is in "real time" currently on earth. I also thought for those not closely following the story, the interview would be nice in that it would give them a lot of background info a normal post would not touch.

Thanks again for your kind words and so glad you liked this format. :-)

Trée said...

Sunshine, it thrills me to elicit such a comment from you. Thank you sweetness for motivating me to keep moving forward and creating. :-)

Miladysa said...

Oh LOVELY tease!!!

Is there a Quisling on board Bravo?