Monday, March 06, 2006

78. 11:59


The Interview: Part II


T: Must have been nerve racking not knowing when Rog and Em would make it back with the medicine, knowing the clock was ticking and Kieran was down to perhaps hours.

K: Hard to explain. So many conflicting emotions—good and not so good.

T: Explain what you mean by “not so good.”

K: I knew Kieran could very well die in the next few hours yet I could not banish my own selfish desires to unveil my heart. The rationalizing that took place in my mind was unlike anything I had ever seen. Papa had taught me well how to stand outside the stream of thought, to observe it and see it move, see it change, to not identify with it, not to attach to it. Yet, I felt like I was in, how do you say it, no-man’s land between conflicting emotions.

T: Can you describe what you mean by conflicting emotions?

K: My mind was racing you see. On the one hand I knew I had to regain my composure as the de facto leader of Bravo-Four-Zero. I was well aware that Trev and Mel had seen a side of me they had never seen before. Quite frankly, I was embarrassed that I had lost control and I worried what they thought. Leadership is a funny thing. I couldn’t well expect my colleagues to remain cool under pressure when I wasn’t. I also knew it was silly to be wasting time on what they may or may not have thought at this point.

T: Was that it?

K: [laughter] Oh, that wasn’t even the beginning.

T: Please continue.

K: I felt fear like I had never felt it before. The emotions from a few hours ago were still fresh and not all that far from the surface of my mind. I feared they would overwhelm me again, that I would lose control again. I never knew how strongly I felt about Kieran until that moment at the window.

T: Sounds perfectly natural.

K: Do you see the pattern here? Think for a second. Think about what I’ve told you. About Papa. What he taught me.

T: Not sure I follow.

K: Every emotion positioned me at the center of the universe. Me, me, me. My image. My love. My needs. My wants. My view. My vanity. My fear.

T: Oh.

K: See the pattern?

T: Now that you mention it. But it . . .

K: No buts. That wasn’t me. That wasn’t the granddaughter Zeke had raised. I hardly recognized myself and it made me sick to my stomach. And yet.

T: And yet what?

K: And yet the relentless assault of emotions continued unabated. I did rather admire the utter uncompromising and ruthless nature they exhibited. May we all be so resolute.

T: Interesting view.

K: Never mind that. Let me get to the story.

T: My pardon.

K: So I decided to go see Kieran. Not sure where that decision came from but the next thing I knew, as if my body was acting on its own, I had gotten Trev to agree to let me in and I was walking down the corridor to the iso ward. That’s when I came to the door.

T: Which door is this?

K: The same bloody door, no pun intended, I had knocked myself out trying to open.

T: Yes.

K: Well, here is the irony.

T: I don’t see it.

K: I’m standing in front of the door. It’s unlocked. And I just froze. My mind said open the door and my body refused to respond. Have you ever thought what it would be like to try and lift your arm and your arm didn’t move? Think about that.

T: So you didn’t go in and see Kieran?

K: I didn’t say that.

T: You’re right. Please accept my apologies. May I ask you a question that’s been eating at me since yesterday?

K: Absolutely.

T: Did your perception of Kieran change when you found out he had two hearts, that he was a child of the shells?

K: No. Why would it?

T: Seems like he would have been seen as . . .

K: As what?

T: Well, as not normal.

K: And?

T: I would think it would have changed your view of him.

K: It did. He was that special shell Papa held to the sun, that rare shell of inestimable value. One in a million.

T: The admiration still sparkles in your eye today.

K: [smiles] What can I say. I was head over pampus boots.

T: So you are standing at the door.

K: Yes. I’m standing at the door and my mind is saying open the door but my body won’t respond. I’d never had a time in my life where my body refused to respond to my command.

T: So what did you do?

K: About that time Trev came up behind me and he must have seen my dilemma.

T: Do you think he knew?

K: Knew what?

T: How you felt about Kieran.

K: He knew something wasn’t right with me but I don’t think he knew. I think he felt I was still in some sort of shock.

T: So Trev comes up and?

K: He says “boo.”

T: What?

K: He broke the trance I was in. I had to laugh but it worked. I reached out, opened the door and walked in.

T: Alone?

K: You're learning fast [laughter]. My fear came too. The two of us, standing side by side next to the bed.

T: Was Kieran awake?

K: Not at first. I stood and just gazed at his angelic face. Part of me wanted to wake him, to see his beautiful, bright intelligent eyes. I wanted to see the life in them, I wanted them to see me, to reflect my image. Oh hell, I wanted him to sense what was pounding in my heart.

T: The pattern.

K: Yep. I was fully aware. Queen of the universe. If my hands hadn’t been bandaged I would have been tempted to slap myself. But then the fear beside me whispered ever so slightly. Whispered the most horrible things.

T: Such as?

K: This is it. Those eyes will never see light again, will never see you again. The image you see before you is the same one you will see at his service. Steel yourself, there are others to think about.

T: That doesn’t sound like fear.

K: He brought his friend. Guilt. Odd pair but they were tag-teaming me.

T: Did you blame yourself?

K: Oh hell no. We never did discover how we got the virus onboard or why Kieran was the only one affected.

T: Why the guilt?

K: Selfishness. Rog and Em were in danger too. Who knows what had happened in that Tear but I wasn’t thinking about them and their lives and I knew it. I wasn’t really thinking about Kieran either. I was thinking about me. I wanted Kieran to live for me. That’s where guilt made himself known. I practically invited him in and he made himself at home.




(to be continued)

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Simple, elegant, honest. It's really beautiful :-)

Trée said...

Leigh, I came this >< close to calling this one simplicity. Thanks for your kind words.

Trée said...

Thanks Trace. Story to follow like last time. :-)

Anonymous said...

love that last line..."explain what you mean by 'not so good'"

Anonymous said...

I've just emailed you :-)

When I first glanced at this image I wanted to sit on that moon with my leg dangling off of it and reading a book!

It really is gorgeous!

Trée said...

Leigh, what a wonderfully peaceful thought. Now I'll never be able to see this image any other way. :-)

Trée said...

Ciera, good to see you again. Hope those kids aren't driving you crazy. :-)

Anonymous said...

Brilliant image. Got so caught up in the story that was shocked when it "ended". I was not expecting the tbc. Never mind. Totally capitvating.

Trée said...

Thanks Jenni. I'm working on it as I go so to speak. :-)

Anonymous said...

is it just me, but i thought this was hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Dang you, and your cliff hangers, get all wrapped up in there, then, 'POOF' you're gone.

Trée said...

DJB, I haven't even gotten to the cliffhanger in this chapter yet. :-D

Anonymous said...

ooooooooh, oooooooooh baby! Love that pic. Is that a moon? Moon me again! :)

Trée said...

Brace yourself hon, I've got plenty more moons coming. :-)

How is my dear sweet bbb doing tonight?

Anonymous said...

(sleepily munches popcorn) excellent so far luv (like anything else is to be expected LOL),but if there is gonna be more tonite will just have to read it on my morning rounds, tubey is gonna take her sleepy very happy self to bed. Have a great rest of the nite darlin :0)

Trée said...

Sweet dreams luv. Might be a bit more tonight but I don't think I'm going to finish it tonight.

Anonymous said...

i am doing fine, much better now. :) and how are you, bbb?

Trée said...

Just having conversations with myself. :-)

I'm doing fine sweetie. Thanks for asking.

Anonymous said...

why don't you have conversations with others? i'm all ears!

Trée said...

LMAO. My and what beautiful ears you have my dear. :-)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!

Trée said...

Thanks Chicky. Sometimes when I read your blog and I see how well you write I just want to roll up mine and go quietly into the night. Loved your post today. I too know the feeling of missing something you never had. I think Kyra probably does too. :-)

Anonymous said...

Roll up mine, that's how I feel when I visit you.

Excellent thus far!

Trée said...

Sunshine, don't you ever dare roll up the first place I visit each morning. Your voice is unique and honest and loving. Blogging would not be the same for me without you in it. That's as honest as I can be. Now go be creative damnit! :-D

Anonymous said...

lol, much appreciated, sweetest words. Honestly, I think, I need to start posting before I read you or Tracey or Terry or Justin or Linny or Agnes or...etc :-) So much fabulous talent bouncing around out here!
Dream sweet, when you get that far, x

Trée said...

Just be yourself. That's what I fell in love with many months ago. Ahhh, the great CNN post. I sometimes wonder if you had not done that one if I would have come back to your blog a second time. The ways of fate or woman for that matter, are far beyond my comprehension. :-D

Anonymous said...

good morning sweetness :0) Hope you have a fab Tuesday(hugs)

Anonymous said...

Do we have to wait until next week for the continuation? LOL This was a good one. I love the frac.

*HUGS* to you and Jack!

Anonymous said...

Morning sweet stuff. Have a wonderful day, feel free to continue the story, I shall not try to stop you!
:-)

Trée said...

Morning Karen. I hope you don't have to wait a week for this chapter to be finished. ;-)

Trée said...

I'll see what I can do. The news of Dana's passing has me in a somber mood. I remember the news breaking of her lung cancer when I was on vacation in August. And now she is gone. I will be 43 this summer and C is 12. She was 44 and her son is 13. Sobering is all I can say. My thoughts and prayers are with that young man today and tonight who has lost both his father and mother. Puts the petty things in our life in their proper place don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely. Remember that original post well, so tragic that things turned out this way.

Trée said...

Life, and death, seems to happen so very fast. I ask myself, how many more days do I have and there is no answer because I do not know. Then I ask myself, will you live, really live today, will you show up for your appointment with life at the crossroads of here and now or will you be held hostage by those two imposters called past and future.

Anonymous said...

I just have to say, and then I will be quiet, I imagine you do a good job most of the time at living in the moment. More so than most. Because knowing that is the way to go and being able to do it are just not the same, of that I am well aware, though I am getting much better at it these days.
So, we do our best and we embrace reminders such as this one today.

Trée said...

Well said Sunshine. I try. I fall down more than I would like to admit but so far I've always managed to get back up. Life is a work in progress, an unfinished canvas. Sometimes it looks pretty and other times it looks like a mess. I try to embrace the mess and the pretty together as one. And I will try today and try again tomorrow and again the day after that. Its all I know to do.

Anonymous said...

Oh no, Tree. I've told you before how inspirational I find your images amd how you take to a place that only exists on your blog. You have a gift that deserves to be shared, and we, your fans are privileged to be here.

Anonymous said...

morning sweetheart, hope you have a good day (hugs)

Trée said...

Thank you Chicky. Just when I'm feeling a little blog fatigue you come by and leave a comment like that. Thank you dear sweet woman.

Trée said...

You too Trace. :-)