Tuesday, March 02, 2010

711. bejeweled of cardinal


(first draft)

Trev stood before the bedroom window and watched the snow fall, watched as branch and bough grew heavy and the ground wore its white cloak, bejeweled of cardinal brilliant. Why the smile, she asked, standing behind him, the softness of bosom nestled against the warmth of a back she had known only moments before by sweat and nail, by the curve of desire, as the wave above her shore gently lapping, of a warmness that comes only from the eyes, only from a touch, of fingers on fire in the mind with the lyrical parting of lips divine.

He reached behind, letting his hand trace the small of her back with a leisure afforded by lovers. And with eyes still fixed on the winter landscape sparkling of dawn rising, he said: because you are spring eternal in my eyes and autumn ripe in my hands. She pulled him tight, arms as rope mooring her vessel.

Come back to bed baby, said Em. Come walk my orchard. Pick my fruit. And then tell the gods they know not of nectar nor wine, that what is held in your eye with every breath of dewy sunrise is as heaven before the aged.

Several hours passed before words again were spoken.

__________


(second draft)

Trev stood before the bedroom window watching the snow fall, watching as branch and bough grew heavy, as pail laden arms and rounded shoulders bend toward the earth. Snow cloaked the ground in pristine white, the clean, pure whiteness of fresh snow, of flakes looking more like feathers than nature's crystalline tears. And as jewels, cardinals appeared, cold and hungry, by twos, it always seemed, like rubies on a king's ermine, their brilliant hue as red and alive as the blood coursing, of his and hers, of hearts called to the ear upon chest.

Why the smile, she asked, standing behind him, the softness of her mature bosom nestled against the warmth of his back, damp still as she had known only moments before by sweat and nail, by the curve of desire, as the wave above her shore gently lapping, of a warmness that comes only from the eyes, only from a touch, of fingers that dance in the mind with the lyrical parting of lips divine.
He reached behind, letting his hand trace the small of her back with the leisure of lovers lost in each other. And with eyes still fixed on the winter landscape sparkling of dawn rising, he said: because you are spring eternal in my eyes and autumn ripe in my hands.

She pulled him tight, arms as rope mooring his vessel. Come back to bed baby. Come walk my orchard. Pick my fruit. And then tell the gods they know not of nectar nor wine, that what is held in your eye with every breath of dewy sunrise is as heaven before the aged, as spring meadows before the bees.

Several hours passed before words again were spoken and what was spoken then was not of word or even of hand as much as eye full and bright and shinning with the urgency known only in love, when life itself feels alive in a way beyond parchment and letter, beyond even lyric and note--a language sui generis, a language of hearts, not of tongues.

10 comments:

Trée said...

The writing is a bit chunky, but you know what? From where I was just a couple weeks ago to where I am now, well, I'll frailing take it! :-D

Kimmie said...

Your writing takes my breath away. Your gift is special, it may bewilder you at times, but it will never diminish. You are so on your game again.
Hugs, Kimmie x

Trée said...

Thanks Kimmie. One thing that never, ever gets old is a kind word. Always warmly appreciated. :-)

Autumn said...

Nodding my head as I read Kimmie's comment, so very true.
There were certain phrases within this post that I loved as much as I have loved any words written, here or elsewhere. The gift that is yours, intrinsic, natural, infinitely special, shimmering in words such as "He reached behind, letting his hand trace the small of her back with a leisure afforded by lovers." It is sentences like these that have drawn followers, that have created life-long love affairs between your reader and your writing.
The language that you use, charming and enchanting, the language of yesteryear, the emotions that you create...I loved "you are spring eternal in my eyes and autumn ripe in my hands", as will all who read. How could one not read and love. This is what you do. Loved it all.
Only because I haven't mentioned it before, post-med writing, style, timing, the ability to create a perfectly rounded chapter, all those hundreds of little touches that have made so many declare you a master are here, remained, where they always were. This piece was perfect in oh so many ways. So many as to want to say one more time, I loved it.

Trée said...

My dear Autumn, thank you. I think I've missed your comments as much, if not more than you have missed the writing. Sigh. Hugs my dear, dear friend.

Autumn said...

Sorry, am so late, got held up unavoidably. Thanks for leaving the porch light on. :-)

Re-reading the first draft, the qualities that evoked adoration are increased. One of the things, present here, that I have always loved so about your writing is the way in which it is made of moments, moments that by their nature, on the surface, in regards to plot if you will, are common enough, but as life itself does for the individual, you bring the beauty of such moments to all with the same intensity. Your sensibilities are transcendent. I cannot help but want to express it as genuinely and inadequately as I did in my previous comment, I do so love the way in which you wrote this (first draft), the moment as a whole and particular phrases within the reasons why. Not mentioned the last time, the following is swooningly lovely. "She pulled him tight, arms as rope mooring her vessel."

The second draft is wonderful too. Before I forget to say, "of fingers that dance in the mind with the lyrical parting of lips divine." brought memories of The Kiss, a smile for it and a smile for the loveliness of your phrasing here. You know, yesterday, not spending time here, The Story was very much on my mind. I must admit, it has been a while since I have really remembered in detail The Story as a whole, I found myself going about my business whilst alternately smiling, or tearing,..., or all of the above at the same time as scenes from the past 710 chapters came to mind. I thought of Ceru. Just his name conjures so many thoughts again now. Of Kyra and Keiran. Rog's dock story. Of Papa. I thought of owls and spiders and books and paint and a thousand other things. Thinking of chapters that have been, I thought of chapters to come and could hardly contain myself. Honestly, you should have seen me. I had any four-year-old-come-Christmas-morning beat.

Wonderful imagery throughout the second draft, beautifully descriptive. In the branches laden with snow and flakes like feathers, the cardinals in all their new found glory. Your use of language is simply luscious. Divine. And incredibly exciting. I wonder what I might say that does not sound as if it has been said a million times before, but the fact remains the quality of your writing is so unique, consistently, thus the eternal comment becomes 'awe-inspiring'. Phrases like "beyond parchment and letter", once you began writing, there was no hope of regaining equilibrium, forever destined to be encased in wow.

Trée said...

Autumn, you are simply beautiful. And I think of The Story and if any of it would exist without you and the love you have shown it for so many years. Thank you.

Lady of the Lakes said...

It's not that I haven't stopped by, I just haven't commented. It's so good to see your creative juices flowing once again. This is truly a wonderful post, you pre-med. I never made many comments before, but, Em and Trev, hmmm, such a fantasy life. It what everyone wishes for, and you can put it down on paper so well. The feelings and intent. So real, so pure. sigh, sigh and sigh.

Oh and did I read in your comment that the writer was a bit chunky? I don't think anyone cares...LOL (JJ)

Thoughts and Prayers continue with you

TIGHT HUGS

MWAH

XOXOXOXOXOXO

hhHHH

Woman in a Window said...

Sitting around with antsy fingers and wanting for a good write...look where I find myself. A long way indeed!

xo
erin

Trée said...

Thank you my dear sweet Erin. I think I need to take a closer look at that new profile pic. A lot closer. :-)