Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day: 72


after ten weeks of Sertraline, I can see three distinct phases:

phase 1:

lasting about three weeks--heavy sense of medication--side-effects strong--emotional blunting--lack of creative thought--music and poetry of no interest--voracious reading--darkness absent--irritability all but gone--everything seen on a logical level--mind is clear--body is oddly detached


phase 2:

the second three weeks--side-effects abate, mostly--emotional blunting still in place--music returns somewhat but not poetry--creativity returns somewhat--darkness absent but an odd sense of logical despair (circumstances) emerges--this period is dominated by the sense of stability of mood, a sense of normalcy, which in hindsight was noticeable by the contrast of the preceding three weeks--sense of being drugged fading--there is a sense that I am healing--that the meds are working and as one reader put it so well, better to be numb than dead--still, this phase is marked by hope, by progress, a sense that the cycle is broken--and a certain elation that the side-effects (esp sexual) have faded--this period is also marked by the emerging difficulty to distinguish what is med based and what is circumstance based--a subtle fear emerges that I am losing who I was--that the meds are changing me and I am not sure I prefer this non-emotional me


phase 3:

the last three to four weeks--an odd and artificial sense of giddiness has emerged--my body wants to dance but the desire seems med induced and not natural--a childlike playfulness has emerged, which again seems artificially induced--emotion still blunted and my frustration at a lack of an emotional life is growing--the sense, subtle but reemerging, of living behind a med induced mask is strong--I am fully aware that I am not the person on meds that I was before--I miss crying, music, poetry, (I've stopped reading in this phase and I miss it too)--the greatest concern is a complete lack of drive, the way one feels when taking cold medicine and all you want to do is vegetate--despair comes and goes but it does so without any emotional energy--I wish I could explain what that feels like and perhaps in time I will find a way to explain it--suffice it to say, the feeling is bizarre--wave-like mood states have returned on a much lower level--I am contemplating on lowering the dosage from 100mg a day to 50--my doctor has given me to green light to do so if I wanted--my greatest fear, which has emerged with force in this phase, is that nothing has been fixed, nothing healed, nothing changed--the sense is strong that all that has occurred is a drugged induced masking, a bandaid--like cutting weeds with a lawnmower that leaves the roots in place

14 comments:

Jasmine said...

I'm sorry things are so difficult right now. Are they better than before meds? In England, e have this great Charity called Mind. They listen to and advocate for all with mental health needs. They also make it very clear that at least 25% of the population suffers with poor mental health at some time in their lives. They would be really interested to know your analysis of the meds. Do you have similar organisations in America?

http://www.mind.org.uk/

Trée said...

Jasmine, I think the meds are doing exactly what they are suppose to do. The darkness I felt before is largely gone. Where things get confusing is knowing to what extent my adverse personal situations are influencing my mental state/health. In many ways, I still feel as if I am fighting a two front war. The meds on the one side and my life on the other. There are days I just don't have the desire and energy to fight anymore. Life is hard when you have no vision of a tomorrow and all you want is the pain to go away but you can see no way out of it. Thanks for stopping by and checking in. :-)

Jasmine said...

I think personal situations can have an impact on personal health ut distinguishing how much of an impact is difficult. Do you find exercise helps? long wlks, ike rides, swimming...?

Trée said...

I'm afraid I've had no energy or desire to exercise. When one is thinking of suicide, one doesn't think about working out or eating right or doing any of the things a normal healthy person would do, things I used to do.

Jasmine said...

I know, sounds like a silly question. i mentioned it because my fiance suffered with severe depression before we met. The thing that got him through the other side was burning off lots of energy, cycling. but there is a different tonic for each of us. i think taking time out to induge in arts and crafts has helped me most these past months.

I always feel a little better knowing there is more daylight each day...

Gregory LeFever said...

You are incredibly astute, Trée. I don't want to say much except that I know exactly what you're describing. I think of Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken: "And that has made all the difference ...."

Of course, there's the even more universal: "This too shall pass."

Hang in there, my friend. Many people love you.

~G.

Trée said...

Thanks Greg. One day at a time. And when things are bad, make no decisions. Thanks for stopping by.

Trée said...

Jasmine, my experience with the darkness, as I call it, knows not the summer or the winter, the night or the day. It comes and goes of its own accord and I know not the schedule of its movements. Thanks so much for stopping by today.

Autumn said...

I wish, I had the words to make a difference. From yours here, it follows to say nothing is done, this process as life itself is ongoing, unfinished, tomorrow may look much like today or you may find yourself in a new phase, the important thing is that you are here, moving through them one by one. You evoke such respect and admiration, and love, in your narration of this path.
Words written on balance some time ago seem even more suited at this time. Sending love, sending hugs, may your tomorrows grant you serenity.

Mona said...

I wish you had turned to taking help from transcendental meditation.The effects are almost permanent and very calming & a sense of reality is ever pervasive

Woman in a Window said...

I can't help but want to take you to the field. Take your hand and lead you. Is there such a place? A place of healing? A place where the world is gentle and time lets us be without interference? Come. There is coffee there. A soft place to sit. And birds. There are birds.

I wish you wellness - big, full-bodied and light to rising wellness.
xo
erin

Gregory LeFever said...

I don't want Mona's comment to "stand by its lonesome." A number of key recent medical studies have found meditation ~ in a variety of forms ~ to equal if not surpass pharmaceutical treatment of major depression and anxiety.

With it, you learn to control the nature of your thoughts and therefore can nullify the depressive ones. It helps you break the habit of depressing and anxious thoughts, which have been proven to be, in fact, habitual.

The beauty, of course, is that the ability to use meditation is with you always and avoids the emotional dulling or blunting Trée is so aptly describing.

The meds can certainly help in a crisis, but unless you want to commit to them for life, literally, meditation is well worth exploring ... right along with moderate exercise. These are Nature's pharmaceuticals.

Lady of the Lakes said...

By all means, start pulling weeds. The 1st one is always the hardest, but once you get your hands dirty, and see the results, it starts getting easier. You have lots of "gardeners" here that are more than willing to help, but you have to pull the first one yourself. :-) Let me know if you need a helping hand whenever you start pulling the weeds (instead of mowing them). I have a gallon of round-up I'm willing to contribute, and access to more if needed.

Thoughts and Prayers

TIGHT HUGS

LOVE...ALWAYS

H

Anonymous said...

Not each day as it comes, but each second of each minute of each hour, of each day; as it comes.
The Sea; Tree
Breathe
in
her perfume.