Friday, April 03, 2009

as once we did



Standing on the beach
waves gently lapping my toes
that is how it is
the coming and going
standing, just standing I am
gentle waves
tickling my toes
beckoning
so when you see the sea
and those gentle waves
think of me
and the warmth
and know
I'm always
just
a
wave
away

Come see me sometime
and with your hands
reach
reach as you used to reach
hold me as you used to hold me
cup your hands
and hold my pure, clear
essence
as once you did
just holding
and taste of me
as life, given
of life, taken
of life, risen
and
drink of me
of tongue
and eye
take me
within
letting our souls mingle
as once we did

2 comments:

Autumn said...

as once we did is an uncomparably evocative phrase, it is one that stayed with me though I did not revisit the poem itself until now. I know not how to tell you just how profoundly penetrating those words are, standing repeatedly as witnesses to a time that held a world of meaning.
reach as you used to reach
hold me as you used to hold me
, so beautifully wistful.

Trée said...

Written in the mood of one who no longer walks, where all that remains is the memory of a time.