Thursday, October 11, 2007

359. Outtake #3: What I Need

(Tranquility slips quietly toward Kulmyk. Kyra sits alone--I would say at night, but it always seemed as night in space--manipulating blocks of light in a Kulmykian game--a gift from John. The game, he said, was a symbiotic exercise, which was his way of saying, each block of light could connect with the player's electrical impulses with a discernment just beyond artificial intelligence, interacting with the life-form such to make the game as unique and insightful as to each player's capacity for self-awareness. With a wink, he refused to say what the purpose of the game was, only that she would know once she started playing.)

John enters her quarters, takes a look at the pink blocks hovering before Kyra’s hands and, with a somewhat solemn look on his face, says: “Enjoying the game?”

“Is it really a game?" asked Kyra, her porcelain face looking all the more doll-like in the pink glow as her hands continued to move the blocks. (She does not break eye contact and look at John. Her jet-black hair appears as cotton candy, a metaphor not lost on John.)

“Depends on the player," answered John, his eyes fixed on her lips, which looked more innocent than he knew them to be. The pink light made them look younger, softer, fuller and if eyes could smell, they looked lustfully decadent in a way that only a young girl's pouty lips can. The thought of kissing her melted in his mind in step with his sense of decorum and he wondered if his face betrayed the stirring of this unsolicited lust.




(With a consciously sensual turn of wrist Kyra powers down the cubes of light)

“Well, I have the sense you didn’t drop by to make idle conversation about a 'game.' What’s on your mind?”

(Pursing his lips, John's mind races to contain the fear that she can see through him along with the serpentine dismay that he wants her to)

“Kyra, I won’t pretend to know who you are or why you are special, which you are, and, to be frank, this mission makes no sense to me; but, if I have learned anything as a commander, it’s the importance of the chain of command and the support of the crew once the commander has made a decision,” said John.

“Thank you.”

“I do want you to know one thing. I’m here if you need me.”

“Are you sure it’s not the other way round?”

(John smiles without answering)

(Kyra takes an audible breath)

“You know what I miss the most? I miss the unfiltered honesty that I had with Papa. Our relationship, and I didn’t know it at the time, and time only further embosses the difference between then and now, but I was Kyra and he was Papa and that is all there was in our interaction. Do you know what I am saying?”

“Perhaps, but for fear of pride and ignorance on my behalf and grace and beauty of expression on yours, continue.”

“To Papa, I was Kyra. No more, no less. On this ship, I am the commander and only underneath that veneer, to the crew, am I Kyra. There are times when, even after almost two years and all we have been through, that I look at the crew and I wonder who they are and I know they must, if they reflect, wonder the same about me. The only way to describe what I feel, not all the time, but more times than I care to admit, is this: Have you ever eaten a meal until your belly was full, so full you couldn’t put another bite in your mouth, yet still felt unsatisfied, still mentally needing to eat, physiologically wanting more?”

(John hesitates as if the words, like meat, needed time to digest)

Kyra continued. “Here is another example, one you might related to a little better. Have you ever felt the need for union, a strong need; then had union and although the physical need was met, you felt completely unsatisfied. An unorgasmic orgasm if you will. I hate to put things in such a crude light, but that is what I crave.”

“An orgasm?”

(Kyra laughs and shakes her head)

“No. A relationship that is genuine. A relationship without anything between me and the other. I had that with Papa. I didn’t know it at the time. But with every day that passes, my hunger grows; yet, on this vessel, surrounded constantly by the others, it is as if my belly is full. Full but hungry. Spent but desirous.”

“Are you okay?”

(Kyra laughs)

“If I only had a penny for every time I’ve been asked that question.”

“What’s funny? I meant the question.”

(Kyra sighs)

“Nothing funny at all. I laugh because it is the wrong question and I’m amused to hear it again, from you, as if I thought, you of all people, would know.”

(John looks somewhat puzzled with a hint of disappointment)

“Let me put it this way. Papa would always say to me, Kyra, don’t make hot, don’t make cold. (Kyra pauses before continuing) It was his way of saying don’t get involved on what happens on the surface, that who you are is calm and serene and deep and cannot be touched by the storms that come and go above. So, when someone asks that question, I know they see only the surface and what they see is more times than not, not my surface, but a reflection of their own. And in those moments, I feel most alone. That is when I feel no connection and that is when I utter the words I wish I could extract from my mind like a cavitied tooth: I am fine.”

(Kyra pauses and John looks on as a child at storytime waiting for the teacher to continue, afraid to speak and break the spell)

“You see, deep down, below the surface, that is where you will find Kyra; and there, you will see that she is fine.”

(another pause, still no response)

“Do you want to know that Kyra? Can you know that Kyra? Can you leave everything you think you know behind and embrace me without your ideas, your desires, your needs, your wants? That is what I need.”

7 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

From the first part of the title, given your explanation last time, I wonder if the same is true again and you were not quite sure if this chapter 'belongs'. If that is the case, all I can say is that from the (or at least this) reader's point of view, it's a wonderful chapter to come after Von, somewhat less intensive and still overflowing with depth (bit of a contradiction in terms).

Firstly, putting John and Kyra together in the same room after so long is reason enough to sit up and take notice. Both natural and intriguing the extent to which their relationship has changed, at least the last time we saw them alone together the interaction was quite different in some respects. Natural because the situation was very different then.

I was trying to imagine who else she might have had a similar conversation with, and really there is no-one, since her relationships with the rest of the crew are those which she has and that which she speaks of, and the closest person to her thereafter, the anyone with whom she has some sort of relationship is John.

I like how we see here the outcome of the chapters that showed us Papa speaking to her without thoughts of superiority due to age or relationship or knowledge or experience. That in her dealings with other people she realizes interaction without thought, without filters of one kind or another, is very hard to come by.

Her words are beautifully written and one begins to wonder just why John does not seem to understand since her explanations are clear. Is it perhaps because John to some extent is contained, separated, divided between his working life and his home life, or is it perhaps because he has such well-developed beliefs about Kyra that her words, though he might have understood through his own (unexplored, unvoiced) desire for the same, but that he cannot conform in his mind to something that Kyra might feel, or perhaps he just simply doesn't understand what she is saying for lack of the same desire to connect or satisfaction in how he does.

Liked the inclusion of the laugh too. :-)

Going to read this one a couple more times and then going by the swimming my mind is doing at the moment, I may be back to further flood your box. Meanwhile, I should add that once again the imagination that creates magic pillows and doll houses, that creates the tool and blue nipples, that creates a holographic book of letters and every amazing thing that we have watched Kyra do, that created this game, though we know not what it is, it looks amazing, that imagination that you enjoy so naturally is in one inadequate word awesome!

Trée said...

An "Outtake" is a chapter that I'm uncomfortable with in regard to consistency of either character or story. This chapter met both those marks. Still, if I didn't think it had some merit as a legitimate chapter, I wouldn't post it, so, in essence, these are chapters where the reader is cautioned to take with a slight grain of salt, since if there was a final version, it might not make it.

I suppose part of what makes me uneasy is the relationship between Kyra and John. Something is still there. I don't want it to be there, but it is. John doesn't want it to be there, but, as this chapter highlights, it is there whether he wants it to or not. A crime of passion, they say, is a very different crime than one committed in cold blood. With John, we see a dangerous passion, one he would like to remove, but can't. And, I would guess in time, we will see that passion emerge in ways that could get ugly for the parties involved. But, until it happens, it hasn't happened. :-D

Here, we see Kyra flirting again as we did in the early chapters with Trev. We also see her more philosophical and her throwing down to John both the fire and the water. She flirts with her wrists and her lips and her eyes. She knows what she is doing. But then, she shifts gears and issues the challenge. In essence, can you love me purely, love me for me, want me for me. She knows he can't. He knows he can't. And, although she enjoys the flirtation, she is quick to put John back in his place with a dose of reality--for now. Kyra has needs and wants. And, as we have seen, is not perfect, cannot control every thing she does.

As for the story, I think we will see this sexual tension between them play out for a long time to come.

Autumn Storm said...

On the second read, and I really have no idea whatsoever why, and it must have been because I read it in two parts, that the lust mentioned wasn't mentioned as I commented about filters. Here is John, though he has Cait with him and the undeniable attraction that exists between them will most likely never amount to more than what the past tells, but it is there and is in itself a great filter through which he sees her. Along with that he has been witness to the fact that she 'is special' and she is the commander, a role that he would normally have, on the ship that he is on. Furthermore, they are heading back towards Kulmyk, a decision that he either does not agree with, does not understand or a combination of both brought about by the lack of understanding.

Gifts given should never be given in the hope of receipt, but one has the feeling that perhaps this is the case here, or at the very least that it was a prelude to the statement that John verbally offers and which Kyra reverses.

Writing this as I read through the chapter once again and as such the serpentine fear that he acknowledges could be that she will see that he is present in her quarters quite simply because he is enticed, enthralled, and he seems to do it with a certain trust that allows him to follow where that leads to some extent, because though Kyra may see through him and herself not be immune, he does not expect to have his fears confirmed nor denied, in other words whether she knows or not that he is being solicited by lust (still), to paraphrase your wonderful expression, even with the hope that she does know dangerous though he admits this to be, he trusts her to set adequate rules for the game. Of course it may have nothing to do with this and may well be an entirely separate element, one that he hadn't consciously foreseen though now that it is here he comprehends it could be no other way, but a separate element no less coming in from the side, and that he actually had a very real and other reason for seeking her out. Perhaps in hope of further enlightenment on just why they are headed back in the direction from which they fled as one example of what that reason could be.

Loaded questions asked at first, if one were to look at them from a certain standpoint. And were one to do that, she with true grace allows him to begin a speech, and again seen from a slightly different angle, she with delightful wickedness allows him to begin a speech, and to put it in simplest terms swats him, bypasses, transcends his lust. Using physical union as an example to speak of the need that she is unable to satisfy could only have him even more confused given it is already in his mind. Seen from that angle, it is absolutely hilarious.

Whatever the case, what she speaks of, the desire to be seen as who she is, all that she is and all that she is not, she will at least for now continue to be hungry. How much of what she said John understood by his silence is not known, but regardless one very much gets the sense to understate that Kyra has the clearer vision, generally and of the other as well as herself.

:-) A great chapter!
And a great part of what makes them so as always is that they always invite contemplation, if not decision. :-D

Trée said...

Although the conversation seems somewhat sedate, the backdrop is great tension on two levels. Tension of the mission, of heading into harm's way in what seems to be suicide and the tension between two people who are attracted to each other but know they will never be together.

I would still like to see John and Kyra "union," but I just can't see writing it with Cait looking over my shoulder or Ariel skipping down the hall. So maybe she "mind-frails" him in a similar way to the scene between her and Calfuray. Now, that could be fun. :-D

Constance said...

Jesus, Tree,now you are erotic as well as brilliant !!!!!!! Awesomely sensuous post - loving, enticing, intriguing....

And the comment you left me today was PERFECT !!! You really helped me, Tree. No-one could have said it better, and a lot of people said nice things, but YOU. ARE. A. GENUIS. FOR. ME.

Infinite blessings for you, dearest, and wonderful karma...

Mark's loss indeed - thank you for helping me see it that way, and keeping my dignity.

Loving Annie

Trée said...

Annie, I wish it was as easy to see our own life and situations as it as to see others. From a distance, Mark's actions are crystal clear. You are a beautiful and caring woman and you deserve much more than he is capable of giving and you deserve it now, not some undetermined time down the road.

If you liked the erotic hint of this chapter, drop me an email. I've written much more interesting stuff, both in this story and privately. Happy to share.

Sending all the positive karma I have your way, and maybe an apple or two. You do know how to hold an apple, right? :-D

Trée said...

Annie, check out Frail Me and Life a Calf or for something a little more romantic try Grace and Beauty

Enjoy my delicious and delightful friend.