Monday, October 09, 2006

171. Vinaceous Luminance

Silent sentinels stood quartered brave upon ramparts high, their vinaceous luminance surrounded by a foe stifling and vast, an armada of darkness extending to the edge of the forest and beyond. A glance to the horizon spoke of help perhaps an hour or two immature--ally or adversary not known. Crouching outside the compound, Kyra looked at her watch and wondered what was taking Von so long.

Her lungs labored in the thick night air, pregnant with aloetic dew. The pre-dawn mist, spurred and whipped by an easterly wind, turned taciturn trees into whispering eidolons. Fear aside, Kyra felt disoriented in the heavier than normal gravity. Each movement, each step took extra effort and a concentration to compensate that reminded her of the underwater training Papa had insisted she master.

From dancing shadows under solemn eyes, Von seemingly materialized, the frame of his fuligin capote parting the dimly lit mist with the fluid grace of a matador waving his capa. His stride, long and slow and steady, perhaps to gain the measure of the land, bespoke the precision of a Blue Oynx. What you believe Kyra, Papa often said, has power beyond the reality. Besides, he would add with a laugh, the two are one in the same. So believe. And so she did.

“Von, I have to say, I wasn’t sure I was going to see you again when the sky exploded with a flash of light and the ambient noise of the forest took pause. Not that I needed you of course.” Kyra caught the glimmer of Von’s smile in the foggy darkness as the rest of his face remained concealed within the recess of his hood.

“Of that I have no doubt,” said Von removing his hood, pleased to find humor in his companion. “Truth be known, I wasn’t all that sure I would be the one greeting you. You can thank your Papa, I have. Many times.”

“My Janus,” exclaimed Kyra, the blood draining from her face to match Von’s. His blood appeared maroon with a suggestion of scarlet and crimson in the scant light and congealed in the cool night air as if soft tar. Had he run his face through a hundred thorn bushes or been involved in the fight of his life mattered not, his face was laced with cuts skilled as the handiwork of a small town carnifax. “We aren’t going anywhere until you let me examine your cuts. These need immediate attention.” She broke eye contact and reached for the med tin in her kit.

“Kyra,” said Von in a tone so sonorous and resonant she paused. “I am not at all certain that whatever attacked me is dead nor am I certain there are not more like it on the way, which in any case, the masters of such a beast must surely know by now the unfortunate outcome, and released whatever reserve force they had at hand. Be our foe but one or many matters not. I have not the strength for another round with one so fierce and skillful.”

“And your point?

Von laughed. “Discretion is —“

“The lexis of academics writing about generals. Since neither you nor I fit either description, I’d say reserve your strength and let me clean those cuts before infection sets in. Janus knows what inhabits this place.” Von started to frown. “I’d rather you die at the hands of the enemy than in the bed of infection. I’ve been down that road and we ain’t taking it again. Do you understand?”

“Make it quick then. I have seen the puniceous eyes of death. I’d prefer not to see them again.”

“Hey, roll your eyes just a little more and your face won’t be the only thing I’ll have to set right.”

Von laughed. “Damn, that hurts.”

“What? I’ve haven’t even touched you.”

“Touch all you want. Just don’t make me laugh again.”

Categories: Story, Kyra, Von, Papa

30 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Perhaps it's the dialogue, but I'd just love to hear you read this one. I read it aloud, demanded to be read that way. It's a stunning piece of writing linguistically once again - and I don't know why I'm thinking chocolate again :-) besides the fact that I have the midnight munchies, but that's what it's like, like smooth, creamy chocolate on the tongue, taste, texture and pleasure.
A thrill to have to read something so deeply - they always say, if you want others to really listen, talk softly, same concept here, a deeper reading by way of the language. And ambience.

As for where the story is going and what might be up next for Von and Kyra, it's another perfectly executed nailbiter. Hope they get a move on quickly! :-)

Excellent all round, nothing else is gonna cover it.

tsduff said...

Man alive, I have to slow down reading the story just to pull out the dictionary and interpret!!!
vinaceous hmmmmm

aloetic dew? as in aloe? Healing? Sticky? How unique.

What on earth are you doing, putting all these amazing words into our heads? Amazing... okay, now I can settle back and read the story (*she says, as she shoves the dictionary back onto the shelf*)

Trée said...

Terry, it took me awhile to find the right adjective to describe the dew as I wanted. I didn't know I could turn Aloe into an adjective until I looked it up in the hope of finding something similar. But aloetic is a word--LOL. And it fit exactly what I wanted. :-)

I may have to have some vinaceous comfort with dinner tonight. Welcome back! :-)

Trée said...

Oh Sunshine, I have no idea how to do justice to your comment. I'm swooning and weeping and looking for that chocolate all at the same time. Poppet says the spoon is all his. Brace yourself. :-D

tsduff said...

Awe - nice to be back. (wasn't gone very long - but it is so nice of you to say so :-D)

Some vinaceous libations?

HA HA HA HA (sorry - was just imagining all the swooning and weeping going on... quite the funny picture of you Trée.) Different strokes for different folks...

Trée said...

Some vinaceous libations?

Yes, we must celebrate your return. Gone a few days in blogland is like gone a few weeks in real time. You are the eye candy in my blog universe and my eyes were needing a fix. :-D

Lindsey said...

I swear to goodness that when I first looked at this post I was certain it was in another language. No joke. And I thought, "Why the hell is Treé posting in Croatien or whatever this is?"

Trée said...

Lindsey, it goes down better after a margarita or two. I've just made a fresh batch. Would you like salt? :-D

tsduff said...

JOSE - where are you

Trée said...

In mah bellie! :-D

Stargazer said...

LOL...a few words sent me to the dictionary also. I can now close my Dictonary.com tab ;)

BTW - Love the fractal!

Trée said...

Deb, LOL, I'm having fun. I love words and I've decided not to take myself too seriously and just let loose with the language and let the dictionaries fall where they may. :-D

Thanks for the kind words on the image. :-)

Dzeni said...

I'm just glad Von is still alive and kicking. Great piece.

Trée said...

Me too Jenni. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

Evening all :-), hope you've had a good one.
Brought the last of the hot choc, perfect just before bedtime too. Sweetest dreams, x

Trée said...

Top of the morn Sunshine. Poppet is about to head to sweet slumber. You know, after the Playground chapter, I'll never look at sliding my hand under the sheets as I crawl into bed quite the same way again. :-D

Keshi said...

**Her lungs labored in the thick night air, pregnant with aloetic dew

Where d u come up with such brilliant stuff?

Keshi.

Lift Heavy Rock said...

"vinaceous"

I can't say that I've ever used that word before.

ChickyBabe said...

The image is mesmerising. It's pulling me in and I.Must.Escape...

Anonymous said...

Trée,

Can you point me to the right page where the story begins? I find myself a little disoriented starting from the middle.

Trée said...

Keshi, I close my eyes and visualize myself in the scene and I try to use all my senses to figure out what is being seen, felt, heard, smelled, etc. With the dew, I just couldn't get out my head that with the heavier gravity, it was somehow thicker and more sap-like than our dew, and the idea of the sap of an aloe plant came to mind. Now, I wish I could say I had also thought of the healing properties as Terry suggested, but I really like that idea too. :-D

As always, thanks for the kind words.

Trée said...

S William, this is the first time I've ever used it too. This is an image driven story, which is to say, I create the image first and the chapter second. With this "wine-colored" image, I needed a unique word to describe the light coming from on top of the compound. There are many interesting words to describe a reddish-purplish color, but I really liked the way this one sounded. Thus, my first use ever of Vinaceous! :-D

Trée said...

Chicky, I'm on my way like a spider after its dinner. If only I had known an image could attract one so warm and enticing I would have studied art in college. :-)

Thanks for the kind sweet words. I'll have you out in just a sec.

Trée said...

Causalien, two ways to get to the beginning of the story, which occurred on Nov 26, 2005.

(1) Go to the archives and find the post on that date called Caribbean Canopy. That's the one that started the ball rolling. It was not meant to start a story, but a little prose to go with an image, but before I knew it, another image and than another and the snowball took on a force of its own. From one post to now, 170 and from one image to 197 and counting.

(2)If you click on the "story" link at the end of each chapter under the category label, I've neatly linked every post in reverse order on del.icio.us in order to make it as easy as possible for anyone to read the whole story in order.

About a third of the way into the story, I did a summation with audio since I had other requests like yours at that time.

I do have to warn you. This is the first story I've ever written and you will see the evolution of my writing in step with the growth of the characters.

Here is the excutive summary:

The planet Hyneria was consumed my massive wolf-like bands of hurricanes. They launched as many vessels into space as they could and this is the story of one of those vessels (Bravo-Four-Zero) with eight Hynerians (Kyra, Rog, Trev, Emy, Yul, Kieran, Von, Mairi) in search of a new homeland and the adventures they encounter along the way sprinkled with a rather heavy dose of each crew member recalling events from back on Hyneria. The very first chapter is actually the end of the story.

The crew has had three "events" so far. (1) The ran into the Metalunans, who helped them quite a bit and pointed them in the right direction; (2) Kieran contracted the deadly Animus virus; (3) and currently where the story is now, a vortex took them into uncharted space where they were caught between two warring civilizations, one of which believes that Mairi has a gift of great value to them in their fight. They have Mairi as prisoner right now, and this last chapter is Kyra and Von, outside of the compound where she is being held in a rescue attempt.

Chapters with Zeke/Papa, Kyra's grandfather and Zing Tao master, always take place in the past. We see her memory of him quite a lot. In many ways, this story is a love story between a Grandfather and his Granddaugther.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. Happy reading.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Papa is my favorite. I think I want him to come visit me next time I write again.

Trée said...

Liz, he is never far away. :-)

Keshi said...

Tre there r ppl who would visualise in such a way as u do but not all can pen it down like u do! U r amazing.

Keshi.

Trée said...

Keshi, I humbly accept your incredibly kind words. Thank you my dear angel.

Oliviah said...

These are beautiful images and the story is incredible...but oh my gosh, what a relief it was to read your comment to Causalian--I was feeling some panic from loss of memory of the story line. Lost, in a beautiful story...I want to remember it all. Glad it can be re-read. It feels like I have been "away" for a long, long time. It's so very good, more than I know how to say, to be right here again at your blog seeing your heart intertwine with all the wonderful people who come to your blog. Yours is a love blog, from any way it is viewed.

Trée said...

Oliviah, I hardly know what to say other than to give a heartfelt thanks to such a wonderful and loving comment. I'd like to think that folks feel at home on my blog and find some measure of peace backlit by joy. Hugs to you my dear sweet woman.