Thursday, April 06, 2006

94. Prelude

Rog tenderly cut away the bandages on Kyra’s hands. Neither said a word but the cuts ran deeper and were more disturbing than either had thought. Her wounds, as Trev stated, were still open.

“Rog, you can let go of my wrists now,” said Kyra.

“Um, right,” hesitated Rog. He couldn’t help but wonder if the same base emotions that had cause these cuts were not also clouding her judgment.

“What’s on your mind Rog?”

“You know I don’t give a rat’s arse for Trev, but--”

“You’re wondering if he’s right, if Kieran is a lost cause and if I’m foolishly throwing away my life by walking into the ward with these hands. Is that it?”

The sheepish look on Rog’s face confirmed her query. Placing her forearms on Rog’s shoulders, Kyra leaned in close to Rog, their eyes just a few inches apart. “If that was Yul in the ward and you had the ability to save her, even if it meant you were putting your own life at risk, would you do it?”

“Are you sure you have that ability?” responded Rog, tipping his forehead ever so slightly forward as his eyes rolled upward.

Kyra leaned her forehead against Rog’s, her eyes matching his. “I’m sure of only one thing,” she whispered. “If we continue to stand here and debate, the point will soon be moot. I’ve never asked you this before but I’m asking now. Trust me.”

Rog stared back for a second before taking Kyra in his arms. “Rog, hon, is that a yes?”

“Let’s go do this thing,” answered Rog, “whatever this thing might be.”

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

got nothin but wow :0) on the edge of my seat to see where this ride takes us :0)

Trée said...

Wow is good. Make no apologies for wow. I think I need more wow in my life so bring it on. :-D

Anonymous said...

...and the suspense factor continues to escalate at an alarming rate.

Trée said...

:-)

Wait till you see what's next. Oh how I wish the words would just flow. This chapter is gonna need a c-section. :-D

Anonymous said...

Another amazing cliff hanger. Any chance of you putting an icon of some sort at the start of your "cliff hanger" posts so that we are at least a little prepared? If you like, I can design something for you :)

Trée said...

Oh Jenni, you break my heart since I know more cliffhangers are on the way, lots more. Do you really think a warning would help or would it spoil the surprise? Maybe I could just email you when I post alerting you to the cliffhanger status. :-)

Thanks for your kind words. Always so nice to read.

Anonymous said...

All the things I thought about Kyra without much reason are starting to show through - she seemed aloof, a step back in the beginning, which didn't mean she was unfeeling or cold or any such thing, just that this scene with Rog would have come as a surprise back then, of course since then we have learned so much more about the deep affection she shared with her grandparents and we have seen her lose control and even anger slightly - this is a very touching scene, so very well-written, beautiful in tone (would have said exquisite, but have been over-using that word) and in emotion - f*ing brilliant in short. Wish I had the capability to explain it better, but 'touching' and 'beautiful' is the best I can come up with, take them for their meaning in their entirety.
Sweet dreams, x

Anonymous said...

Ok, you can wake up now :-)
Happy Friday, x

Trée said...

Sunshine, you have risen to the top o' the charts in comment ability. As Tube might say, "got nothin but wow."

I'm up and as soon as I can get the next chapter righteous, which right now it's not, we'll move to the next cliff. Did you hear that Jenni. ;-)

I've been trying to show Kyra as something more than just a simple two dimensional sterotype. We all have good and bad, things we like and admire about ourselves and things we would rather not admit. So does Kyra.

So glad you got so much out of this short piece and you're right. The early Kyra would have seemed out of place in this scene and most of the ones concerning Kieran. Sometimes it takes a dramatic event to reveal all of who we are. I think Kieran brings out a side of Kyra we wouldn't normally see.

Anonymous said...

Good and bad usually adds up to uniquely (sp?) wonderful, strange as that may sound -
you've suceeded with the 3D venture, she's as real to me as any other character I have read about in literature.
Sex scene up next (or soon), I saw you mention - looking forward to that.
Have a great day, xo

Trée said...

Next up is the scene in the iso ward where Kyra trys to "do that thing" to save Kieran.

Autumn Storm said...

Though the details of each chapter cannot remain at the forefront, each of these, this one, the one before, each detail, each expression, each glimpse that we had into your characters weaved themselves around those first impressions, part by part moulding them, still.
It's feeling quite like a treasure hunt in reverse, where the jewels have been found and now I'm retracing the steps that showed them to us. :-)