Friday, December 31, 2010

1944 (of light and love)

Truth is like light. Duration is of no consequence. A darken cave of ten times ten thousands years is just as bright of light as one continuously lit. Love is this way. I knew Virgil for just a few days, yet in the last forty years I have never known a love as true, as real, as enduring. And I think not of the loss, of his death, of that snowy December day, of all that was never to be, but rather the blessing of holding what few ever hold, for a heart once lit in love is never not lit, never not warm. And the warmness is not of memory or imagination. His life within me, decade after decade has been something eternal, forever present. So, in this way, I live alone. For who can sit across the table and not think I’m insane.

2 comments:

Jack B. said...

To know love is to know it forever. A deep thought.

Happy New Year, Tree.

Trée said...

Jack, I love the way you've paraphrased the thought in this post. So very good to see you stopping by. Hope and trust the studies have gone well. Wishing you all the best in the year to come. Happy New Year!