Wednesday, August 19, 2009

that jewel, that diamond



A small rabbit has made a home in my backyard. Not much bigger than the palm of my hand, he feeds on my lawn just outside my breakfast nook. When he is not eating, he rests against the side of my house, behind a lavender hydrangea, his brown brindled fur blending into the brick, a shadow upon our mulch. This morning, with robe and coffee, I knelt a few feet away, my bare feet on our stepping stones, just to the left of our birdbath. Between the green leaves, I saw my friend, puffed of fear I imagined at the sight of this robed giant peering. As we starred each other down, neither of us moving of our own motives, his eye caught a glint of sun. A diamond in the bush, against the wall, upon the pine bark. I squinted my eyes to fade the sight, leaves muting into pastel shadow, and the eye, that jewel, that diamond became a magnificent starburst, a blinding light, the bling of nature, of a baby rabbit, alone, huddled, still as dawn. I squinted and starred at this remarkable sight for perhaps thirty seconds before the hand of a cloud stole my wealth, and his brilliant coruscating eye, that dewy sparkle, was gone, gone as the morning to noon. Only quicker. And I thought to myself, if this were the last sight I ever saw, I'd be happy with that.

17 comments:

Jim said...

Is this the actual beast, eyes full of light and brilliance?

Trée said...

It is. The picture was actually taken through the window, and worked on in photoshop to give it a bit more life.

Lady of the Lakes said...

An absolutely beautiful image. It's funny how babies can turn our emotions inside out. A baby anything, bird, squirrel, bunny...well you get the picture. And to see the sparkle of the sun in his eye. How wonderful that must have been. To catch that moment and have that memory.

Your writting here is fantabulous. Again I read a line, and can close my eyes and picture it, in great detail. Your ability to draw pictures with words is truly a gift.

Can't wait to see your next post...whatever it may be.

Trée said...

Thanks Lady of the Lakes. The image was taken about a week ago with a point and shoot camera through our kitchen window. Not exactly the best image, slightly out of focus and dull. In photoshop, I punched up the saturation to bring the color in line with what the eye sees and applied a Topaz filter to give it a slight painterly look, which was my way of covering up the focus issue. Glad you liked it.

As for the next post, it is strange to see you say that. Strange in that every post seems to me as if my last. And I suppose, like everything in life, one day, the current post will be.

Trée said...

The top image was taken today, a couple hours after the diamond incident.

Leslie Morgan said...

Thank you so much for having me over for morning coffee and sharing your yard. Lovely sights to behold. And a diamond!

Grae said...

Bunnies are so cute...I see them occasionally when I'm walking in the park.

Rabbits....they're all about creativity and New Life and prolificality (ok..is that even a word? LOL) ...SPRING has arrived in your symbollic backyard ;) Have no fear, Rabbit. Hold steady until you know exactly when to move. Don't want to fall into any...rabbit holes.

snowelf said...

turning to mush now. commence baby-speak voice

"Awwww, wook at the widdle bunny wabbit--she's so super wuper cute!"

okay. i'm good.

--snow

Trée said...

Limes, you are welcome anytime. :-)

Trée said...

Grae, welcome to DT. :-)

Trée said...

Snow, how can one not love a baby rabbit. :-)

Woman in a Window said...

Tree, yes, I was thinking that. I was thinking, ok, this is enough. I've had moments like that. They are rare and they are abridged and that is probably what grants them such depth and purpose. But then to return to the fricken sidewalk, to fold up the robe, to step wrong on a pebble and loose your footing...does that take away from that moment?

No, no, erin, stay in the damn moment!

So glad you recognized it for what it was. And that (along with your mind bloggling writing talent) is why I come here.
xo
erin

Trée said...

Erin, I stand before you naked. And you haven't run away. So I'm going to stand here just a little longer and watch you watching me.

Grace said...

"Grae" is just me...Grace...with a spelling issue. LMAO

Gummy Bunnies, anyone?

Trée said...

S., why the sad face?

Woman in a Window said...

Tree, I should have said, your naked is beautiful.

Trée said...

Aww, Erin, this comment warms me in more ways than one.