Tuesday, August 11, 2009

1944 (Cymbeline)

The nave emptied into the street, into the night, exhaling the last of its keep upon snow and cobble. I remain alone with the marbled saints, their tongues as silent as mine, as silent as the vestibule after the doors closed. Only the flicker of candles speaking of human hands, of the shiver of prayer, of hope, of beginnings and, perhaps too, of endings.

In the absence of joy, that tide of happiness released into those narrow stone corridors, I sat. Cold returned with the dark, my knees as a child before the father. And what had been held was released, my face a muddy mess, alive I knew by evidence of tear, the economy of the thorned heart, as productive as the bomb factories back home.

There was no place to kneel, but I kneeled anyway. I wanted to feel the cold stone, wanted the pain to take my mind away from my own self-indulgent sorrow. I draped my arms over the chair in front of me, laced my fingers and looked toward the alter, toward the icons of veneration. I said a few words to myself that others might consider a prayer. But there was nothing. Nothing but silence and pain and cold. Just me kneeling in a cold dark church, alone. I felt as if God was in the forsaken business and I thought if he could do what he did to his son, what could, would he do with me? I was beginning to think I knew the answer. And I envied the ignorant.

After some time, my knees are numb and I no longer see the point of my self-inflicted pain. I return to the war tomorrow. There will be enough pain; as an ocean to my bucket, only what is wet is red and what burns is the realization there is nothing you can do to stop the tide. So we endure and don’t much talk about it.

Churches always bring out the confessional in me so I’ll say this too: we don’t much pray about it either. I pull upon the massive wooden door, a cold blast of winter rushes in, flickering candles and rustling a few missives. My hair feels frosted with a hairspray of snow. The streets are silent now and mostly dark under the clouded sky. My hotel is just a few blocks down the street. I walk alone. There is no sense that he is with me. There have been no visions or visitations. He left me memories but no more. My heels are my meditation, clicking stone like clock, my breath perfuming the air, my eyes dry in the cold.

I couldn’t sleep so I did what I always do, read. I read until I wept, such the power of Cymbeline, of this stanza:

‘Till the diminution
Of space had pointed him sharp as my needle;
Nay follow’d him till he had melted from
The smallness of a gnat to air; and then
Have turn’d mine eye and wept.


And so I wept, wept for what I didn’t have. Wept for what I knew I’d never have. And in this way, upon my wet pillow, found slumber waiting.

When I woke, I returned to Cymbeline with my coffee as I sat before my window, ledged in snow. I read but a few lines:

Fear no more the heat o' the sun,
Nor the furious winter's rages;
Thou thy worldly task hast done,
Home art gone, and ta'en thy wages:
Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.


And I wept again as if sleep were an interlude, a temporary respite. My tears as the snow, falling and falling without end.

11 comments:

Ms Storm said...

How many hearts you have placed within the pockets of our own. Each time I think of this, it is an acknowledgement, anew, of a special talent and a rare intimacy with your fictional creations. They arrive with a depth, almost immediately, that surpasses most and just keeps getting deeper. Larger. As though having given the core, you move around in even circles, ever expanding, loyal, faithful, true to that core, which is why outside of your mind too, in ours, they become as real as you describe. Of all that we meet, how many do we come to love, certainly not all. Partially for the fact that many present rather than appear, which in turn in part of the reason why it is so easy to receive into one's heart the pureness of those that we meet here. Not for the first time, there is so noticeably more show than tell that it must be mentioned, and this is also such a significant part of why they become so embedded. We learn as we do in life, less by the stories we tell than by impression. By observance. By what isn't said or by how something is said or by what is chosen to be told, rather than what is told, so to speak, in the wee hours anyway. Tremendous insight, one, tremendous skills of conveyance, two. There is no closer that can be achieved as far removed as we are, through the acutely sensitive, the subtlety of your portrayals, by watching as the chapel became silent, watching not merely being told, but seeing them move, listening to the sounds disappearing, understanding the suddenness of impression being all that remains, the echoes of touch in the candles for example, just beautiful. So much response evoked by this being the moment when her tears spring, no more alone now than she has been these last days.

Trée said...

Just when I'm ready to give up writing, you leave me a comment like that. I swear you will never let me slip away into my own doubts as a shadow into the night. Sweet dreams Ms Storm. And keep your pillow like your powder, dry. :-D

S. said...

I've been nesting here for maybe twenty minutes or so, maybe longer, I'm not sure really, the time spent now. Here, where there's a dance upon the mind to join, a butterfly at the hip to flutter me. I rouse, from swirl and drift, only to read you might give up this land. And I wonder how it is, the spirit and soul of a man while flitting across these pages, blows an extra wing into us all as we each pass by, yet he can't see it. And I wonder if he knows, how very precious the gift, he is.

Trée said...

S., the writing, my writing has been very sour to my eye of late. I wish I could see what others say they see. I wish it more than most anything; yet, no matter how hard I try, I just see the sawdust and bits of wood, the mess of the shop, joints that don't quite fit, a few drops of glue on the floor, trash can full. I desire flow above all else but all I see is brick of a sentence after brick of a sentence, of ideas average at best. Something inside of me compels me to write and I write because I have to, if that makes any sense, but if I was making violins, you'd see nothing up front for sale and a garbage bin full in the back.

Now, having said that, I in no way take issue with how others see or the things they write here. I believe all the comments to be sincere. I simply struggle to see what they see. There is almost nothing I've written that if given half the chance, would not rework, revise, rewrite.

Your writing, to my eye, is sublime. Your imagery superb. Your poetic prose, scintillating. And your presence here, a gift. Thank you.

Woman in a Window said...

Tree. I'm shocked. But not really...backing up...

I came to write that I have been shortchanging you because I haven't taken the time to know (fully) who your characters are. The list. I need to acquaint myself with the list. Oh, I'm so bad with lists.

And then I read Ms Storm and thought, oh shit, erin, you f'n baffoon, you've nothing real to say.

Shit, and then there is S. Is noone unrefined and dull around here?

Tree, this, you are special. You say you knew of this when you were younger. I feel it as a truth now and who am I to bullshit anyone? I'm on this weird and heightened journey right now. Ever read Tom Robbins? Well, for whatever reason I'm supposed to have met you and passed this on...pssst...yer brilliant. Believe it. Hell, have a sweet glass of wine, put on your music and let it take you. It will.

Thank you so much for sharing today, really sharing, making yourself real. It was you and S. I was thinking on when I started that post. Rick, too, of course, but I know him well. What an interesting day it has been.
xo
erin

Trée said...

Erin, in the 1944 series there is really just Mary and Virgil and in that, mainly just Mary. The other "Story" is a whole other matter but I've not been adding much to it of late.

Thanks for the kind words both here and on your blog. Very much appreciated. More than you know. Oh, and by the way, I am a Gemini and I am 46. :-)

Woman in a Window said...

Tree, thanks for clearing that up. I wondered at the rest of the characters that you referred to on your profile but thought that perhaps you were just temporarily consumed with Mary. It makes a whole lot more sense to me now. I need to wake up, pay attention! There's much to learn here.

I'd say you are welcome for the kind words but they aren't a gift, just a fact. Don't ever even consider giving up on writing.

Another Gemini...

Leslie Morgan said...

Good morning, Sir. Once again, I feel a little less "deep" than some of the people who comment on your writing. I don't meet it head on like a collision. I slide in diagonally and see things you probably never contemplated. One short phrase of this put me in mind (once again) of a photograph. I've asked the Badger to go digging for it today. When he locates it, I'll post something on the side of the bus with a photo credit to the Badger, but a tip of the hat to Tree for bringing that lovely image to mind after not thinking of it for awhile.

Trée said...

Good Morning Limes. Looking forward to seeing which phrase inspired which photograph. Always a pleasure to have you stopping by.

Grace said...

Don't give up, Trée. Seasons are natural and organic. Perhaps you're experiencing a little Fall or Winter right now. Dropping your leaves, it's ok not to produce anything on the outside. Be a Trée :) allowing all the lifeforce to be internal for a time, if need be.

If your writing isn't bringing you JOY, take a break. Writing for the sake of writing alone is like a person who eats and doesn't taste. Something of a certain value takes place, certainly, but where's the JUICE?

Sometimes the very best thing we can 'do' for ourselves, is allow ourselves to "be" without the "doing".

You are a writer, Trée. Nothing will ever change that, even if you never wrote another word. There is no contest here, with who You Are. No contest, no competition, no judgement.

You ARE....and if you're feeling a little sour, so be it. Embrace the sourness ;-) and flow with that for awhile. Investigate being sour. Sour is a wonderful sensation in an of itself.

Not sure any of that made sense. In my head, it did. LOL

Trée said...

Oh Grace, come give me a hug and bring some lemon drops, candy or vodka, either way, but I need that hug, to taste and embrace what is, as it is. Your comment and thoughts are warmly noted and greatly appreciated. I just hope this season is winter and not fall. I need the spring! :-D