Wednesday, August 12, 2009

1944 (the train)

The trains are running again. I’ve not eaten in more than a day, yet sitting here, in the station, I feel heavy, not hungry. I watch the endless movement of bodies boarding, disembarking, running, moving, flowing--so much energy, so much life. There are clocks everywhere, and steam, a murmuring sea of unintelligible conversation, of steel wheels on steel rails and brakes and pistons, of men in caps and whistles, women with tears and uniforms with stoic faces. And through it all, I feel a heaviness in my chest, my breathing shallow, my eyes absorbing every hug, every goodbye, every kiss, every letter and package exchanged. This time, here, on this bench, this cold wooden pew, seems of all time, of the only time, and I realize, for the first time, tomorrow is blank--I've no thought for it; or any day beyond the day beyond the day, beyond. No picture, no dream, no hope. What I see now, here, in this station, is all.

My train arrives, a single large headlight, snorting steam like some overworked draught horse weary of the day's work done and the night's work to come. The beast sits, beaded in sweat of laboring iron and steel, a door open, a uniformed body calling forth. The voice sounds like voices do in a dream, or from underwater and my legs refuse to move. But I know I must go. He calls again, looking my way as if he knows this is my train and he knows I must go and he knows as he must have known of others too, no one wants to go where we are going.

I take a seat by a window and look out. Departure comes with a small jerk. The window framing the world, a muted canvas flowing by on a soundtrack of steel and steam and the melodic clacking of rail travel. The land, mostly pasture, looks untouched, quilted in snow, stitched by paths and roads, decorated in trees and bushes and shrubs. Farm houses appear faded in twilight as if watercolored on my glass, quiet as the chapel in dark and I wonder of the families, if they are there, inside, cooking dinner, lighting candles, saying prayers, teaching a child to read, knitting a sweater, sweeping a floor of yesterday. It is easier to think of them than to think of me, to lose myself in their world than to be lost in mine.

We travel through the night. The train slipping east into darkness, our coach unlit, pitch as the future I cannot see. Outside the window, snow lies as a blanket, a cold pastoral cloak, hushing the ground as mother to child into the slumber of a gently falling lullaby. I see no light in the small villages we pass, I feel no heat within our cabin, I hear no conversation from eyes that can’t sleep. Eyes like mine, mute in thought. Numb in fear. The fear of returning, the fear of the known.

The sense of heaviness remains. My thoughts, leaden, languid, lethargic, listless, and I fear, lifeless. This train more easily crosses the country than I in crossing my legs. In the window a ghostly visage, pale as a shallow sea before littoral eyes I hardly recognize, lost on the ocean of this war. And I think of the days I cannot forget and curse the hands of fate that have delivered me to this god forsaken shore. I feel as driftwood, useful only in consumption, in fire, in giving of myself fully to exhaust what I can’t touch. Or maybe I’m just cold, as again the snow falls.

8 comments:

Autumn said...

Awed, entirely. By whistles, I had fallen for the melody as well as the words themselves, awe upon awe reaching the end. The very sounds of your words, the rhythm of them too, accentuating, creating the setting, the backdrop of sight and sound surrounding her, the alliteration of 'S' in particular reflecting the movement, the murmurs, the snaking trails, the steam, the steal, the shallowness and so forth, meaning and sound and and rhythm and structure (lengths) working together to soundtrack the moments, perfectly synchronized. So beautifully creative and captivatingly detailed, atmospheric and spine-tinglingly aesthetic. An abundance of impressions rushing forth with such detail and pace, a visual image could not have delivered its impressions any clearer or quicker. Quite overwhelmingly awed as you may be able to tell from the above, so much so repetitions are inevitable as are quotations, I watch the endless movement of bodies boarding, disembarking, running, moving, flowing--so much energy, so much life. as an example of much of the above, not least structure and melody, thoroughly lovable already for this alone. In the observance of what surrounds, as in the post below, with such ingenuity, such brilliance, in so doing her mind, her heart, her heaviness, her absorbtion becomes increasingly readible, again one wonders how, how it is that you know to do this, how remarkable and innate your understanding of creative writing, of conveyance and of evoking response. Just as musical notes summon emotional response and the best composers can communicate whatever they choose in this language alone, so too, with the same knowledge, with the same command, words written in your combinations communicate encompassingly, words are never just words, every wave is the ocean in its entirety, every breath is the soul..no way of telling you just how comprehensive your narrative abilities are. I read this and I know one thing better than I know anything, as a writer, and in every which way, poetic language, creative and original and evocative use of language, in structure, in formation and arrangement of sound and melodic effect, in emotional effect, authenticity, in the creation of characters, above all else, complete and real on the page, becoming so in every heart behind every pair of reading eyes, in every way that one can appreciate the talents of a creative writer, outstandingly, uniquely, awe-inspiringly, you are a genius. Art was never more alive than upon these pages, more affecting, more communicative. So awed by the beauty, by the greatness of your touch. So awed I don't know where to begin, haven't begun, the above just an elongated, overwhelmed wow. Will be back if I ever manage to calm myself :-D

Trée said...

My dear Autumn, I think I can say this without any doubt whatsoever. That was the single greatest "wow" I've ever received. I feel guilty on two counts by way of your comment: (1) I do not consciously seek to do the things that happen on the page and you so elegantly discover; (2) this chapter was nothing more than me pouring out my innards--I used Mary for my own journal entry--so in that regard, this post was easy. Just wrote what I was feeling and thinking and layered it onto Mary, poor soul that she is wearing my troubles. :-D

As always, I struggle to say just how much I appreciate your visits and your comments. Thank you.

S. said...

How very deep your cellular memories must run, as if all you've ever tasted, touched, smelled, heard, viewed, suddenly becomes aware you are about to raise them up to the surface again, and allow them each, their moments again in the light of your fingertips upon the keyboard.

Magic runs in you. There's no better explanation.

Trée said...

S., memory has always been a blessing and a curse to me. Especially emotional memories. Your kind words are very much appreciated. Thank you my dear S.

Woman in a Window said...

I believe you. I believe her. Belief is the highest compliment I can think of to give to you today.

I leave this quiet
and hopeful.
How is that?
Hopeful?

Trée said...

Thanks Erin. Hope is a train. Mine is still messing around in the station. ;-)

meleah rebeccah said...

you paint such imagery with your words. WOW.

Trée said...

Thanks Meleah. I worked my arse off on this post; and right now, in the arc of my skill, this is about as good as I can do.