Friday, September 19, 2008

559. Hot and Cold

Contradiction. To hold a thought and not hold it at the same time. Is time a function of change? Is there a smallest unit of existence that makes simultaneousness a figment? When I take a pint glass of hot tea and I place ice in the glass and then immediately take a sip, I sometimes feel the flow of both hot and cold tea, simultaneously, over my tongue. No matter how many times I do this, I am child-like delighted each and every time. Giddy, one could say. Rog would like that. I can see him laughing, the kind of laugh that truth elicits, an insight as to why I am not him and he is not me for I could be giddy and he could not ever be such.

Trev put his pen down, drew the sea into his lungs and adjusted his sunglasses in the cloudless sky to avoid the myriad reflections of his comm, which, now, lay shattered into an army of glittering winks across the sea-facing deck.

I am saved and I am ruined and all within the hour, if not the minute. Where is that point where day becomes night or night becomes day? When is one sane and when is one crazy and how can one tell which is which, when, like the tea, it flows, simultaneously, hot and cold? I'm not writing this note to be read, as a leave behind piece, which might inflict guilt or offered inexcusable excuses otherwise known as rational lies. I'm going to be honest, which is my way of saying I have not always been honest, not by my design, but by some other wicked hand, but this time, I am my own hynerian. I write this note, I say what I am saying, because it brings me pleasure.

Trev paused to wipe away a trickle of sweat from his eye, the act, which required taking off his sunglasses, by necessity, required putting down his pen. Eye wiped, sunglasses back in place, pen was held again in hand, a lance ready to battle vellum, the neighing of nib upon what once was living, seeking sun, spreading branch and leaf, bothering no one.

Today, in this hour, within the same breath, not two breaths, but within a singular breath, I thought of suicide and, I shiott you not, in the same exact moment, I thought of running the beach, not to run away, not to run to exhaustion, but to exercise, to keep my stomach flat, to remain fit. Hot and cold. How does a sane person hold these two thoughts, death and life, hold them simultaneously, in all unconscious seriousness, as if to do so was as logical as a sandwich? This thought occurred, for the record, before I smashed the comm into tiny bits. And for the record, there were no messages, no blinking light, no nothing.

16 comments:

The Anti-Wife said...

Powerful writing!

Trée said...

Thank you AW.

Autumn Storm said...

You'll have to tell me why One would think such a thing would be easy, but it isn't always. What I love about this is that it feels like standing in front of two opposing mirrors where the reflections, one into the other, go on for eternity, clearest at the first until they seem to disappear but the fact remains, known if not seen, that they are still there. Your words, questions, statements, suggestions, words singular in several cases too like the one with which you start are in this same way never-ending. To hold a thought and not hold it at the same time. Sit us on that deck with that thought and nothing else and watch the hour hand spin is delicious ponderment. A sentence like that is like a breath, something taken within, absorbed rather than read, just to read is to move through a bunch of words to gain an understanding of what is written and then moving on with that knowledge, a sentence like this is more than that, it is open and endless, repetitive, repetitive reflection. The tea passage with a myriad of reasons to love it, definition seems like a wrong act to perform, the very idea, the pointing if you will, to such a simple pleasure, the touching, the embrace of it, all of life in that act, crunching autumn leaves, rolling down a hill, touching the petals of a flower, the eternal delight, and what it says about you, the writer of this sentence, and how you receive the world, it's impressions and all it has to offer, the tea joins many other such instances within your work, essentially pure, beautiful as the basic truths that can be difficult to remember. For how it is written, the thought in relation to someone else, Rog's face as it appears, the differences, the giddiness of one and the endearing quality of it seen in the smile of the other, the structure of it, the thoughts as they occur, so natural, so audible, and for the word giddy, overwhelming nostalgia, the only word that I can think of to describe the pleasure at reading that word, warmth, connection, definition as said is not easily done, heart to heart so it feels reading, certainly your words are read in a way that if one knew nothing and had to point to the place where through they are read, to the chest it would be, hand on heart, a pleasure so exquisite at times it is almost painful. That is wrong, pain is not it, yet still a better way to express the complete, momentary overtaking of emotions is lost to me. One cannot take one, not entirely, without mentioning the other, but your two descriptions of Trev within his surroundings are utterly wonderful for themselves and in context, in conjunction with the rest of the chapter. Beginning as you do with thoughts, moving through tea and Rog to the smashed comm framed by such serene surroundings. I shall not spoil the second of those by commenting on what is so easily seen. Black on white, or rather white on black, for any of us, the laying out of such contradictory thoughts, thinking of a tomorrow while thinking of no tomorrow, so well, simply, beautifully expressed, and recognizable, therein lies the genius of this piece like a secret known to all brought out into the open, our minds and our emotions and the way in which they move, beyond comprehension most of the time, shocking sometimes, haphazardly. Structure still despite content insists on jumping out to be mentioned once again, there is just something about it, the balance that is thoroughly exciting for it's perfection.

Trée said...

I could hug you for that comment, but it would hardly be a down payment on all I owe you over the last three years. You are the verb in my life. :-)

Mona said...

To hold two mutually contradictory thoughts in mind at the same time & to believe in them both, is termed in the medical language as Schizophrenia!

We all are to some degree. Some less, some more. & the interesting part is, that the society at large is a schizophrenic society. It has seeped into the collective subconsciousness of the human race.

& our rulers, the men in power are responsible...although in some cases, our own life experiences take it top the verge of madness...

Trée said...

Mona, I think Trev must seek medical help. Immediately. Thank you for the diagnosis. No telling what would have happened if the boy was left untreated. :-D

Anonymous said...

"...pen was held again in hand, a lance ready to battle vellum, the neighing of nib upon what once was living, seeking sun, spreading branch and leaf, bothering no one."

So poetic. Great post!

Trée said...

Thanks Charlotte. :-)

Stargazer said...

Rich, engaging, contradictions, extremes, and always thought provoking!

Anonymous said...

That was really really really sad to me.

j said...

"what once was living, seeking sun, spreading branch and leaf, bothering no one."

How do you DO that?


I understand Trev right now. The thread of his thoughts, his physical reaction to his emotions... he is not a mystery right now. This was SO well written. Even the description of his wiping sweat out of his eyes was NEEDED to make this chapter flow the way it did.

The Comm, that he thought he could destroy and make 'quiet' (in it's quietness :D ) seems to still be mocking him.

I really enjoyed this post.

Trée said...

Thanks Deb.

Trée said...

Meleah, I could be wrong, but I'm taking your comment as a compliment. :-D

Trée said...

Jen, I wish I knew. A lot of my writing just happens. I don't know how else to describe the process. I get in the flow of a feeling, an emotion and I ride it. As always, thanks for the very kind words. Very much appreciated.

Congrats to your Tide too. They looked awesome.

Constance said...

Because sometimes you can want to die at the same time part of you wants to continue to live. Yes, they can co-exist. It is just such pain, and the desire for it to cease is human...

Medical help ? I think drugs - which is what they do to shut you up and send you on your way - doesn't address the core issue that brings someone to such depths of bleakness and emotional exhaustion...

Love heals all, but I have no clue how to find it when it doesn't appear to be there, and close by and available... Sometimes nature gives us small gifts that carry us through until the next hour of the next day...

Please don't take that irrevocable step into silence, Tree - I would miss you, and the ache would go deep. The shining light of your talent through words has enriched my life many times. You matter. Your contributions matter...

((hugs))
Loving Annie

Anonymous said...

Yes it was a compliment. I was moved by this piece.