Sunday, May 14, 2006

Tonight at the Ryman


James Blunt plays tonight at the Ryman, a small (capacity 2362) and superbly built hall. Tickets were sold out before I had a chance to purchase. Over the weeks I checked back frequently to no avail. What I lack in talent I make up for in persistence. Less than 24 hours before the event a single ticket became available online. I purchased it. This will be my first concert and I couldn't be more excited it will be at the famed Ryman.

Click link for my similar tribute to High

Update: Review

I touched passion tonight in a way rare enough to remind one how precious it is. From the moment Blunt came on stage, there was a look in his eye, a bounce in his step, simply a certain way he carried himself, his guitar and his lyrics that spoke a language seldom heard. Blunt doesn't sing as much as he embodies, personifies, or manifests his music. One senses no separation between his music and himself and one also senses there is no other place he would rather be than on that stage singing those songs.

The band also introduced several new songs, which continue to touch and move one in their sincere integrity. Again, one loses sense of where the song ends or James begins. I have a strong feeling his fans will continue their bluntfest with the new material.

Unexpected highlight of the night, without a doubt since I had not heard it sung before, James' rendition of I Really Want You. Oh how I wish this one was on the DVD. For those that are familiar with the song and familiar with James singing it, imagine being at his concert, never having heard him sing it, and then-BAM-there it is--a moment where my mind began to swim in timelessness. How does one put such an experience in words?

In fitting tribute, the evening was capped off with You're Beautiful. I've listened to every recorded version and watched the DVD (Chasing Time: The Bedlam Sessions) more times than I care to admit--let's just say my play count on this song is in three digits. Yet, tonight, to end the concert, I don't believe I've heard it sung better. Then again, when the entire audience sings along, there is a certain power and energy that has a tendency to move one. I was moved.

Thanks James for adding Nashville to your Tour. So Long, Jimmy. And you will be missed. See you at the bar.

____________________

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Feb. 10, 2006) – Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium will vie for its third consecutive win in the Theatre of the Year category at this week’s Pollstar Concert Industry Awards. Several Ryman staff members will attend the awards ceremony held February 15 at The Theatre at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

“Just being nominated for this award is an honor for us,” emphasizes Ryman General Manager, Pam Matthews, “Only six venues in the entire country were nominated, and we are very pleased to again be recognized in this way and to be in such impressive company. If we win the award for a third consecutive year, we will of course be thrilled, but the nomination alone is high praise indeed.”

The nominations and awards are voted on by members of the Concert Industry Consortium (CIC), an organization comprised of concert touring professionals and executives from major booking agencies, concert promotion, facility management and record companies. The Pollstar awards are regarded as the most prestigious in the industry. The list of nominees in this category includes the famed Radio City Music Hall, the Gibson (formerly Universal) Amphitheatre in Los Angeles, and the all-new 6,350 seat NOKIA Theatre Grand Prairie. If the Ryman were to win its third consecutive Theatre of the Year award, Pollstar regulations dictate that the venue would have to remove itself from consideration for the following year.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sea and the sky is perfect!!
Hope and know you will have the best time, say Hi to James for me :-)

Trée said...

I wish you could see how big the grin is on my face. I dreamed last night that I met him at the concert. I'm always amazed at how real a dream can seem, especially right after you wake--tis was a very pleasant way to wake. :-)

As for the image, in the video he jumped from some sort of white platform. Whenever I tried to make the platform white, although it looked true to the video, it just didn't look right in the image so I took artistic liberty and used a sort of funky concert texture.

Thanks as always for your kind words Sunshine. Wish you were going with me tonight and if I do meet James I will pass along your hello. :-)

You're beautiful, you know--inside and out.

Anonymous said...

And it is, very funky!! :-)

Ooh, wonderful dream...and you never can tell, some dreams do come true, wouldn't that be a blast! :-D

I am going to be playing the CD and thinking of you there tomorrow morning my time. It's quite funny really, but I'm just so excited and happy at the thought that you are going to have this experience, likely because I love his music as much as you do and know, how very excited I would be to be going, to be in that 'live' atmosphere, to hear those amazing, familiar songs sung live. Gosh, just watching the live show on video was enough to give me goose pimples! :-D
Can't wait to hear all about it.
xo

Trée said...

Only a few more hours. I've already watched the DVD again, so I'm completely primed and ready--lol. Expect a full report tomorrow. :-)

Thanks for sending me the quiz, I'll have to take a look at that.

Anonymous said...

omg Blunty boy!

Keshi.

Trée said...

Keshi :-)

Blunty boy was magnificent.

Anonymous said...

That looks so real... I hope you don't go jumping Tree!

Trée said...

Chicky, I can think of better ways to cleanse my soul. Besides, I have a fear of heights--so no jumping for me. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to see him tomorrow nite, and thanks for the great review now I am even more excited :0)

Hope you have a wonderful monday!
(hugs)

Trée said...

Trace, if my experience last night is any indication, you are going to have a wonderful evening. I'm excited for you and would go again in a heartbeat. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I am so incredibly jealous...if I could only get to one concert this year it would be to see James. His music has carried me through so much lately. Its probably not a wise thing to put so much faith into music, but sometimes its just the thing we need, ya know?

And, he's a little hotty too :)
glad to hear it was even more than you expected.

Trée said...

Meg, I listen to alot of music and I can honestly say no other artist has moved me with both their songs and more importantly their delivery of their material like James has.

I've read his critics and they just make me smile because although I think they have valid points, I feel in their microscopic analysis, they miss the big picture, they miss the essense of what James is doing. In short, they miss the symbiotic effect of the person, their music and what the two become when performed from the inside out.

As I laid down to sleep last night, I thought of James doing the same and I thought of what he must be thinking about the night's perfomance and more importantly, what he must be thinking before he performs, thinking of what he is attempting to accomplish. I sense he has a great awareness of exactly who he is and exactly what he wants to accomplish. And at that crossroads, magic happens on stage.

Last night was magical. As I mentioned in this post, I felt like I touched passion--a rare thing indeed.

Anonymous said...

It sounds incredible, I'm glad you experienced that and will carry the memories forever.

Beautiful frac below too, sorry I haven't been around much.

*HUGS* to you and Jack ;-)

Trée said...

Karen, always good to see you. James Blunt is the first artist I have ever felt compelled to go see in person. I'm just not a concert goer. But there is just something about him, I don't know exactly how to put it in words, but I can feel something very unique and very special about who he is and I believe that comes through in his music. As I mentioned above to Meg, I've not had this particular sense with any other artist. Perhaps soon I will be able to better articulate what I feel is happening, why I feel he is unlike most anyone else performing right now. But for now, I think I'll just enjoy the after effects of a brilliant performance. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the performance!

As for taking artistic liberties - I don't call that white replacement in your image an artistic liberty. I would call it an enhancement ;-)

Trée said...

Oooh, Leigh, I like the way you think. Yes, enhancement. I usually don't like the word enhancement but in this case I think it works. ;-)

The band looked so much more relaxed last night than when they shot the Chasing Time video. James was superb in every way. I really did have a great time.

Anonymous said...

There must be a special reason that you discovered his music, to fill your soul, perhaps. :-)

Trée said...

Ahh, Karen, I really like the way you think. Perhaps so. Now wouldn't that be something special. :-)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it is very special and that is what's happened and will continue to happen if you let it. There's a reason for good and bad in our lives, the fun is figuring out what is the reason ;-)

Trée said...

Karen, I agree. The challenge is in seeing beyond our normal filters to see a thing for what it is as opposed to what we think it to be. Have a great day sweetie. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Good music will do that you.

Hard to believe the guy was once of those guys in the redcoats and funny hats standing outside the Palace in London. Now I'm wondering what other talent is standing there waiting to be found.

Trée said...

Jack, James put on an outstanding show. I would go again in a heartbeat and part of me wishes I was in St Louis tonight for the show. The band was just that good. Of course, I love his songs and the way he sings them so you have to take that into consideration. :-D

Anonymous said...

If you leave now, you should be able to make it by showtime :0)

I'll be at the bar which is where I am headed now (they let the bar in first, so better shot for a good seat)

Trée said...

Tube, the thought crossed my mind several times today. :-)

I'm amazed you don't have assigned seating. Is the auditorium sponsered by Southwest? :-D

Anonymous said...

"to fill your soul, perhaps."
I love that.
He certainly creates a direct line somehow, by opening his own and it's too wonderful for words - and I haven't even heard him live, not sure I'd recover, which would be a good thing. And I don't care how silly that sounds! :-D

Evening, sweetie, hope you've had a good one and happy dreaming when you get that far.

Trée said...

Morning Sunshine. What a great line by Karen--"To fill your soul." Such a pleasant thought to ponder.

Hope your day has gotten off to a brilliant start. If you want to watch a little James live, check out this site: RTE

Anonymous said...

Will do, thanks :-)

Anonymous said...

I JUST LOVE HIM! awwww I never saw him live yet...

Keshi.

Trée said...

Keshi, you would love him live. Both James and the band seem to really enjoy performing and bring a ton of energy to the performance. I hope they can keep that passion going. :-)