Sunday, July 31, 2005

Lance on Letterman (August 1st)

Bet you haven't seen this pic in a long time. A body genetically built to cycle, from a larger heart and lungs to a longer femur. A body that produces less lactic acid and has a main artery from the torso to the lower body that doctors just can't believe it is that big. If God ever created someone to excel at Grand Tours, then he created Lance.

At max output, this body can generate around 1100 watts of power. At threshold, which is a sustainable level, he can, in peak condition, hold at around 475 watts. Go to your local gym to appreciate what these numbers mean.

His fight with cancer steeled an already superb mental toughness with a philosophical insight more akin to Zen than anything in Plano. The cancer also stripped 15 pounds of upper body weight from his frame. His power to weight ratio, for the first time, exceeded the magical 6.7 level (watts to kg).

As great as his cycling accomplishments are, I believe his greatest contribution lies in the awareness and hope he has brought to those fighting this terrible, relentless and seemingly indefatigable disease we call cancer. Just in the last year, the LAF has sold more than 50 million yellow bracelets. Go to their website and you will see one thing--hope. Hope and courage flow from the top down. His legacy this will be.

Lance will be on the Letterman show tomorrow night--Monday, August 1st. Enjoy and marvel.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, you show me that pic and I'm stuck here at work! I need a poster like that tacked up over my bed :-}

Not many have the heart and guts that Lance does. I, for one, wish that I had 1/100 of it. He's an inspiration to everyone who has a fight, both physical illness or life problems, to deal with.

Trée said...

junebugg, that is funny. If I had known you were working today I could have waited a bit longer to post--lol--(I'll have some dark Chocolate waiting for you when you get home ;)

I thought since I've posted a couple pics "for the guys" it was time for a little "equal time." Nice the way I tied it to a current event and to cycling--not at easy thing to do--lmao.

I always felt that pic showed Lance the athlete, no pun intended, in ways one seldom sees.

Anonymous said...

He is indeed, a powerhouse! And an inspirational man... :)

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! He IS amazing!

Anonymous said...

wow this guy sounds like an incredibly courageous super-hero...great write-up abt him, thanks!

Nice blog btw...
Keshi.

Anonymous said...

Awesome photo and post. I'll be sure to catch the show tonight. He was on Oprah the other day, but I only caught the last 10 minutes of the show.

Anonymous said...

Great picture! It reminded me an article that I read in National Post, only published in Canada. It's called Not All of Us Can 'Live Strong,' written by Father Raymond J. de Souza. It is about Mr. Armstrong, his accomplishment and his thoughts on suffering that can reveal hidden sources of strength.

If you want to read the article, here's the link. http://www.canada.com/national/
nationalpost/news/issuesideas/
story.html?id=a1c7c16d-80ea-4fde
-8079-9f8f364e9e8b

Unfortunately, it's a subscription required article but I just wanted to share his strength.

Anonymous said...

He really is a great athlete! hugs and kisses from Portugal!...

Anonymous said...

Hey, just a quick hello from someone in Central America.
best website hosts
Charles