Tuesday, November 09, 2010

797. singular summers

Kyra notes a conversation she had with Von shortly before he died:


My summers are singular. How many is hard to tell, but I feel some inexplicable calling. Mainly in dreams. He’s been coming more often. Sometimes we talk. Sometimes just holding and it is clear, he is holding me as once I held him. I see peace on his face and his voice is melodious. Our conversations, however, remain just beyond. Couldn’t tell you a single thing said. But make no mistake, these are not just dreams. There is no fear. Just a womb-like warmness where sound is muffled and light diffuse.


I listened to Von into the morning. He spoke of many things remembered and many more not. The envelope had remained unopened, and although he never spoke of it, I sensed he never made peace with that decision. Instead, the child became his life. He held nothing back, pouring himself into that newborn vessel, fueled, I thought, by his own premature parting. I left behind a grandfather. But Von left a son. I would say I understood, but I never had a child, so I never patronized him. I think he appreciated the listening. As Papa would say, one can heal a soul with the ears in ways the tongue cannot. I can’t say Von was ever healed, but I’d like to think his pain was a little less. I miss him. I miss the dignity and poise, of how he carried his sorrow.

2 comments:

SarahA said...

I came in here earlier today and sat with your words awhile, but I did not leave any footprints. I just wanted to carry your words around and let them nestle for a time.
You always have this deep inner pain to your words, that draws me in and wants to hold them.
I am loving 'Just a womb-like warmness where sound is muffled and light diffused'
This is very beautiful; you.

Trée said...

SarahA, thanks for the very kind and beautiful words. Your comment feels like a gift or a key. As if your words were a magic spell, I feel the need to see beauty today, to bath in the wonder of those closest to me. And, perhaps most important, to allow oneself to be held, to have that pain kissed away. So nice to see you stopping by. Hope and trust you are well. And as always, your poetry is unlike any other in the most beautiful of ways.