Saturday, July 26, 2008

536. So Somatic



There are three looks she said

there is the look before you frail me

there is the look while you are frailing me

and then there is the look after you've frailed me

Put them in order she said

Get them right, she continued, and just, maybe, I'll let you frail me again

Get them wrong, and, well, there's always the milking

She smiled

When you return, I want a week's worth

Anything less than a week and I'll know

"She didn't say that," said Yul.

Rog smiled without replying.

"No frailing way!" Yul said each word as if she were paying by the syllable.

Rog shrugged before adding, "You know what she called me after that first time?"

"What?"

"Often."

Yul grinned, wide. "You know what?"

"What?"

"I love you."

6 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

There are three looks she said.
This may yet be my very favourite opening line.

Autumn Storm said...

Likewise reader grinned, wide, and declared the same sentiment, :-), bless his sprightly hide, with Rog it was a case of love at first sight and the definitions just keep on coming.

Shining brighter, though practice has shown the feat impossible, I am going to try to hold still a ray. :-) There are really very few things in life of which one can be certain. That your chapters will capture the imagination and the heart from the opening line is a kindly trend. And your knack for stirring the peak of response is so proficient, one could be forgiven for thinking this is uppermost in your mind as you write, where in actual fact and as is the only way to achieve this rare and extraordinary level of conveyance is to write to tell it from the heart. Am thoroughly enchanted, again and for eternity, by your capacity. For expression, on the lines and between them, with choice of subject, the heart of a piece often most dizzyingly impressive. Snug, delighting, theirs the liaison, shared the pleasure. The spell of the story is engraved in this chapter.

When you return, I want a week's worth
Anything less than a week and I'll know

Read the words, see the smile, know the man. Dizzying.

Autumn Storm said...

man=hynerian :-)

Trée said...

Sunshine, this is an interesting chapter in that my original intent was to have Yul say these lines as a way of explaining to Rog why she loved him--that is, in that scene, Yul rolls over and the look she sees on Rog's face, after the sex, is the look that says everything to her, and as she was going to say, that of the three, that look, the last look, was the only look that really mattered.

As these things are wont to happen however, as the words twirled in my imagination over a day or two, they became Susan's words, or, and this we don't know, they became, perhaps, part of Rog's imagination of what happened, embellished to entertain and tease Yul. It seemed to have worked. :-D

j said...

Love the way they play!

I also love the header art. That is so beautiful Tree.

Jen

Trée said...

Thanks Jen. :-)