Tuesday, October 26, 2010

an easy smile

An easy smile. He never had it. Apparently, neither do I. I’ve been told not to trust my eyes. Been told that within his weathered visage, past those watery eyes, his heart was good. Fair enough. We all have our beliefs and who is to say what is real and what is not. But I know this. Treasure buried is still treasure buried. Won’t pay my bills no more than that check he said he’d write, that night, over several beers, to buy me some new basketball shoes. Thirty years later, I still remember sitting on that shag carpet, in his bedroom. He was drunk. In bed. Doing most of the talking. Beer tended to soften him and in that softened state he asked if I needed anything. Basketball shoes I said. No problem he said. Whatever you want. I never got my shoes. Never said a word. Neither did he.

4 comments:

Liara Covert said...

Thought-provoking stuff. Words are but one method of communication. Love needs no words. Energy vibration has infinite ways to let a person know about another's feelings. You notice what you choose.

Trée said...

Liara, thanks for stopping by. Hope to see you again. :-)

Autumn said...

This is a wonderful piece of writing, Poppet, this is clear in the structure, in the wording. But in the reading, it is very, very much more. Raw, yet resigned, questioning in the present(self) - Projecting trait and trace
Through time to times anon
. Of memories and the test of time, love not time, as they say, heals all wounds, and a reminder, one for which to be thankful, time still is, now is here, todays memories are not yet written.

Trée said...

Autumn, when I write these biographical pieces between father in son, the real audience is myself, as if I am trying to keep in the front of my consciousness just how important every single interaction is. If I could do that more, just remember that every word said, once said, can never be taken back and that every word said, once said, is somewhere on the scale of love and indifference.

As always, thanks for the very kind words. You never fail to warm my heart. :-)